Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Start

Hello,
    I just introduced myself in the "intro" section just a few minutes ago. This is my first attempt at posting, so please be kind!

1982 Suzuki GS650g: Cold start problem. It seems like the gas is not making it to the cylinders. After I get it to start using starter fluid, it runs beautifully. Below is a list of work that was done to it in the past 2 years. I only ride about 1,000 miles a year due to physical difficulties. So I try to keep fresh gas w/stabil in it. Anyway, here is the list:

-Carbs rebuilt, soaked in Berrymans, blown through w/air, new O rings through Robert Barr, float set at 22mm, all new hoses in right places, Sync'd carbs.
    -New Airbox Boots & clamps & filter.
    -New petcock. (No inline filter)
    -New intake manifolds
    -New #3 exhaust valve (pitted, I imagine, due to PO not adjusting valves)
    -Valve lash @ 5mm.
    -New rings & light hone (cylinders & pistons all miked out well w/i specs)
    -Valve seats lightly cut
    -All Suzuki gaskets throughout
    -Exhaust in good shape
    -Electrix stator
    -Honda 5-wire rr
    -New sealed battery
    -coil relay mod.
    -New coil wires (coil ohms @ 3k.)

Any advice appreciated.
    Jerry

Hmm, sounds like you have everything pretty much covered.
    How long ago was this work done?
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Hi,

"Valve lash @ 5mm"; Does that mean that the valve clearances are set at .05mm? Tight valve clearances are the first suspect in hard starting engines. I run mine on the loose end of spec, even a little over.

Perhaps the idle mixture screws need to be turned out another half turn. Did you adjust these using the "highest idle" method?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the info...

Pilot screws are out 1 1/2 turns. Maybe I'll try playing with them a little bit. I do know that turning them out makes the mixture leaner... so, perhaps I'll give that a try.

Yes...sorry to confuse you but the valves are set at .05 mm.
        Thanks again... I'll give this a try and let you know.

Jerry
        Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2010, 06:20 PM. Reason: mixture

Comment

Is your choke circuit actually working? On my gsx550 it would be an absolute monster to start, if it would start at all, but once running it was perfect. It would hot start ok.

The choke lever was moving but it was only moving so far as to take up all the slack in the cable. It move through a 90+ degree arc so it looked as though the choke was being engaged. When I tried to pull the choke plungers to see if there was a problem, they were stuck. Solid.

When you dipped the carbs in berrymans, did you fully dissassemble the choke circuit? I would be looking there, at least just to confirm that the circuit is actually working.

Comment

I found it!

After I posted, I remembered someone (can't remember the name, sorry) posted about the float bowl gasket w/the hole not fully punched through. So I checked mine...and sure enough...there it was! GSX550 was right! Yes, the choke circuit was clean, but the stupid gasket was blocking it. Just came back from buttoning it up, and it starts great!

Thanks guys!
            Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by prays4u View Post
              Pilot screws are out 1 1/2 turns. Maybe I'll try playing with them a little bit. I do know that turning them out makes the mixture leaner... so, perhaps I'll give that a try.
              If you are still talking about your '82 650, turning out the idle mixture adjustment screws will RICHEN the idle mixture , not lean it out.

Most of us like to start with them about 3 turns out, then tune for best engine speed.

Last edited by Steve; 06-10-2010, 09:38 PM.
              sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry...

...yes , the 650g...my mistake on the pilot screws...I'm just glad its fixed.

Jerry

Comment

wow great thread; I was scratching my head as to why it was not starting even though it seemed to be fuel related.

You were so very thorough in your post you even solved your own problem

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    Hi,

"Valve lash @ 5mm"; Does that mean that the valve clearances are set at .05mm? Tight valve clearances are the first suspect in hard starting engines. I run mine on the loose end of spec, even a little over.

Perhaps the idle mixture screws need to be turned out another half turn. Did you adjust these using the "highest idle" method?

BassCliff
                    My 850 is smaller than that. A .04mm wont even fit. Still starts GREAT.
                    So Im kinda thinking that hard starting problem do to tight valves may be BS.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                      Considering that the minimum clearance is .03mm, the fact that your .04mm feeler does not fit does not prove a thing.

The bikes will still start well with the minimum clearance, it's when you start getting less than that, where the bike gets really hard to start when cold.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                        Hi,

If your .04mm feeler doesn't fit, I encourage you to adjust your valves soon.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                          Hi,

If your .04mm feeler doesn't fit, I encourage you to adjust your valves soon.

BassCliff
                          Shims awaiting swapage...

Steve, I was being sarcastic, more or less.. Some of em may indeed have smaller clearance. I have no way of knowing.

So how tight would they have to be to promote slow starts, .00?
                          The point I was making is that mine are tight but the bike still starts and runs fine.
                          Perhaps thy're not tight enough, as all of em still move with closed valves.
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Working...
                          X