air / fuel mixture adjust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air / fuel mixture adjust

So turning the air mixture screws on the side of the carbs out /counter clockwise richens the motor up? Is it also the same for the fuel mixture on the bottom of the carbs ? Do they both adjust the same thing but ones fuel and ones air? And they only relate to idle or just off idle lite on the gas?

My bike has vm carbs on gs 1000 and I have the air mixture 1 1/4 out and fuel mixture 1 out and runs pretty good but when I check plugs 2 and 3 are leaner than 1 and 4 at idle and even if I check it a 4000 rpm steady cruise and do plug chop check? Trying to understand the circuits better in the carbs? Maybe it's my valve adjust and will be doing that this weekend and still have to sync carbs other than bench sync aswell. Like I say it runs nice but know it could be better and don't like the lean look on plugs.

No, on the VM carbs, the pilot AIR screws on the sides of the carbs will lean out the pilot mixture when you turn them out.

The pilot FUEL screws on the bottom will richen the pilot if you turn them out.

As a starting point on a stock bike (stock airbox and exhaust), the fuel screws should be about 5/8 to 3/4 turn out and the air screws should be double that, or 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

cool

Thats what I thought since my plug reading got better going in on air and out on fuel. I have 4 to 1 pipe and pods with dyna stage 3 carb kit and carb rebuild done already so maybe my 2 and 3 lean is valves or sync then? Will the air mixture do anything for my light throttle lower rpm cruise or is that all pilot jet?

Comment

Working...
      X