Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

on and off and on and off... I'm a pro at taking carbs off and putting them back on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The chain gang gets shafted by having hard-to-remove airboxes, except in the case of the original 750

Comment

13 times on my GS1100 to get the jetting right with a Vance & Hines pipe ,K&N filter & open air box. I had to build 1 set out of 3 because of ruined pilot jets & air screws though and 1 carb had an air passage blocked internally. Blast away !

Comment

Lowered the clip on the needles one notch. It helped a little, so I think I'm going to drop it another notch.

Will raising the needle effect my idle?

Comment

I think I need to go up a size on the pilot jet.

I lowered th clip another notch on the needles. (It is now in the second from bottom). I took it for a spin, about 12 miles. It was still giving me fits in the lower throttle range. On my way back, at about miles 8 all of the sudden it started acting like I lost 2 or 3 cylinders. It started spitting and sputtering. Finally it died on me at about 10mile mark. I sat there for a minute thinking. I turned the tank to prime, and tried to start it. Wouldn't start. I gave it some choke, it fired , and ran fine the rest of the way home. Once in the driveway I switched it back to normal. It ran fine in the driveway. Swo I decided to see how far I could get before it started acting up again. So I ran about 1/2-3/4 miles before it started up again. Switched it to prime and she ran fine home.. I didn't run hard, just 1/2 throttle at most.

I'm going to raise the clip on the needle back to the 3rd position and go with the next biggest pilot jet in my dj kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohioan View Post
            I think I need to go up a size on the pilot jet.

I lowered th clip another notch on the needles. (It is now in the second from bottom). I took it for a spin, about 12 miles. It was still giving me fits in the lower throttle range. On my way back, at about miles 8 all of the sudden it started acting like I lost 2 or 3 cylinders. It started spitting and sputtering. Finally it died on me at about 10mile mark. I sat there for a minute thinking. I turned the tank to prime, and tried to start it. Wouldn't start. I gave it some choke, it fired , and ran fine the rest of the way home. Once in the driveway I switched it back to normal. It ran fine in the driveway. Swo I decided to see how far I could get before it started acting up again. So I ran about 1/2-3/4 miles before it started up again. Switched it to prime and she ran fine home.. I didn't run hard, just 1/2 throttle at most.

I'm going to raise the clip on the needle back to the 3rd position and go with the next biggest pilot jet in my dj kit.
            Your symptoms indicate that you're starving fuel to the carbs. Check that the vacuum line to your petcock isn't faulty/leaking air. Also check the condition of the petcock diaphragm. When you're using the prime position, you're not using the engine vacuum to open the fuel valve, so the carbs are getting adequate fuel on that setting.

Once you've sorted the fuel supply out, you'll need to start anew with your plug chop analysis.
            :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Aright, I'll replace the petcock. I happen to have a spare new one laying around.

Comment

Working...
              X