picked up a gas analyzer today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

picked up a gas analyzer today

running 36mm flat slides on an 82 1166 with drop in web cams. Turns out my pilots are way too small. I am running 19-20 afr at idle and with the fuel screws turned way out (1.5 turns) I am still 16-17 afr.

So, that tell us that the fuel screws can alter idle mixture by 2-3 afr rich/lean

I thought I was running rich but the numbers don't lie.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

what did you get? How/where did you install it?
    Last edited by posplayr; 06-18-2010, 12:47 AM.

Comment

I got an "Innovate" LM-2 hand held with an exhaust clamp. Hookes up to power via usb to computer or cig lighter. Very simple, very easy, very expensive.

Just pulled plugs and 1-3-4 are dark brown 2 is white? I would have guessed they all would have been light with cruz being so lean. I am going to have to take a look at number 2.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

this looks very reasonablely priced.

with this setup you get a AFR / RPM data logger for under $250

Are you recording RPM? sounds like there have been some issues but without convenstional ignitions not sure there will be any problems.

I dont know anything about it but I would tend to want to weld in a bung in my mid pipe near the end of the collector.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
          What is the sensitivity to AFR measurement accuracy and where you locate the sensor? Any
          difference between a bung and the clamp in the end of the pipe?

I found all of the manuals.

2.2 Sensor Placement

Using a bung is the preferred method for mounting the O
          2 sensor for both catalytic and
          non-catalytic cars.

On
          CATALYTIC CONVERTER equipped vehicles:
          Install the oxygen sensor’s bung upstream from the catalytic converter (a bung and
          plug is included in the LM-2 kit). The bung must be installed in the exhaust pipe
          at
          the side or on top, NOT on the bottom
          of the exhaust pipe. Any decent muffler or
          exhaust shop can do this for you. The wide-band oxygen sensor is then installed into
          the bung to take a reading. (Insert the plug into the bung when not in use). The ideal
          position is between 10:00 and 2:00 position.
          On
          NON-CATALYTIC converter vehicles:
          You have the option with non-catalytic cars to also use an exhaust clamp as
          described below. Use of a bung is the preferred method for mounting the 0
          2 sensor
          for both catalytic and non-catalytic cars.
          On
          TURBO CHARGED vehicles:
          Install the bung downstream from the turbo but before the catalytic converter. The
          high exhaust pressure before the turbo interferes with the lambda measurement and
          the high exhaust temperatures encountered there can damage the sensor.
          Alternatively you can also use the optional exhaust clamp (part number 3728) to sample

exhaust gases at the end of the tail pipe.

Last edited by posplayr; 06-18-2010, 03:14 AM.

Comment

The bung would be the preferred mounting method. In a vehicle without a cat converter, you should be able to locate the bung pretty much anywhere in the exhaust stream. I'd probably try to stay within about 2 feet or so of the exhaust port.

You want to mount the bung so that the sensor will not become contaminated with moisture, at least 10 degrees above the horizontal plane. On a bike with a 4-1 exhaust, the collector or just aft of it would seem like a logical place assuming you could get the proper clearance for the 02 sensor.

Comment

I ordered errrr one

of each LM-2 and LMA-3

For some reason found a cheap deal where both were under $450

That should give me AFR,RPM,MAP, Acceleration and additional stuff all in a PC compatible data logger.

Comment

The bung would be the preferred mounting method. In a vehicle without a cat converter, you should be able to locate the bung pretty much anywhere in the exhaust stream. I'd probably try to stay within about 2 feet or so of the exhaust port.

You want to mount the bung so that the sensor will not become contaminated with moisture, at least 10 degrees above the horizontal plane. On a bike with a 4-1 exhaust, the collector or just aft of it would seem like a logical place assuming you could get the proper clearance for the 02 sensor.
                I have a nice protected position that is in my mid pipe on the 4:2:1
                I will probaly go right in front of that tab attached to the center stand mounts. It can be angled up to 2 O clock with space to spare

Comment

I have a nice protected position that is in my mid pipe on the 4:2:1
                  I will probaly go right in front of that tab attached to the center stand mounts. It can be angled up to 2 O clock with space to spare
                  Between 9 and 3 o'clock should be fine.

Did you also order the gauge?

Comment

don't you love it when you buy something there is always someone who finds it way cheaper somewhere else. much cheaper than I paid up here. but then I do have taxes across the boarder too.

We can only log rpm and o2. The unit needs an obd-2 imput to log anything else. no ecu no other parameters.

This is the only package that you can log rpm and o2. since o2 without rpm is useless........ The tail pipe clamp and inductive pickup are another 100.00 too. I don't want to weld a bung into every bike I want to test. I can't believe the thing is 75.00!!!!
                    Last edited by katman; 06-18-2010, 05:07 AM.
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

You can't log rpm with the LC-1 and those gauges will pack it in with a heavy fog. Not for outside.

For monitoring maybe but very hard to tune at full throttle and making notes of the o2 position relative to the tach.
                      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                        don't you love it when you buy something there is always someone who finds it way cheaper somewhere else. much cheaper than I paid up here. but then I do have taxes across the boarder too.

We can only log rpm and o2. The unit needs an obd-2 imput to log anything else. no ecu no other parameters.

This is the only package that you can log rpm and o2. since o2 without rpm is useless........ The tail pipe clamp and inductive pickup are another 100.00 too. I don't want to weld a bung into every bike I want to test. I can't believe the thing is 75.00!!!!

I just did a quick search on Amazon and found a couple of good deals. I'm hoping both are new and not refurbed. The Aux box is a nice addition. You set it up as a daisy chain serial bus. So i can imagine I can get the other data out of lit (MAP, accel, another inputs).

For some reason these guys are not exporting outside of US. Wonder if that is why yours is more.

You made sure you uploaded the latest firmware? How is your tach input working?

Order #1 : (order will arrive in 1 shipment) Order #: Shipping Method: Standard Shipping Shipping Preference:Group my items into as few shipments as possibleSubtotal of Items: $408.59 Shipping & Handling: $7.06 ------ Total for this Order: $415.65

Delivery estimate: June 23, 2010 1"Innovate Motorsports 3742 AuxBox Multi-Sensor device Datalogger"
                        Misc.; $176.62

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC 1"Innovate Motorsports 3837 LM-2 (BASIC) Digital Air/Fuel Ratio Wideband Meter (1 O2 Sensor)"
                        Automotive; $231.97

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
                        Last edited by posplayr; 06-18-2010, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I have to wait for the inductive pickup to get RPM.
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                            I have to wait for the inductive pickup to get RPM.
                            You should be able to use the low side of the coil. The manual says to use a pot to attenuate the signal that the LM-2 see. Talked to tech support for a few minutes and got my setup planned out. Had to order another interface cable #3812 between the LMA-3 and the LM-2.

He said the LMA-3 does much more heavy filtering on the RPM than the LM-2 does on RPM so the LM-2 is more responsive and therefore more suseptable to noise.

The LM-2 will package and store all the MTC data coming from the LMA-3. If anybody is interested in these grab them soon as the prices on Amazon are about to go up by next week. I grabbed the last LMA-3 but the LM-2's are still being listed.

I might try and make a exhaust adapter out of some copper tubing.
                            Last edited by posplayr; 06-18-2010, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X