picked up a gas analyzer today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by katman View Post
    STREET BIKE. Don't think its a waste of time and money to properly tune bike for the street. Have a look around this forum at aaaaaaaaallll the dudes having problems with carbs. It is endless, an analyzer gives you quick answers and directions to go. Rich? lean? rich? lean? no its rich? no, its lean! IMHO it is a time saver.

Also, this is primarily for tuning my efi/turbo.
    Um... Did you forget that you are working with carburetors? Did you forget that air density changes day-by-day and even hour-by-hour? What you tune for in the morning will be trash in the mid-day heat and humidity. And what you tuned for in the heat of the afternoon, will be crap in the cool night air. Even if you tuned the carburetors in perfectly (which is laughable at best) and you were out riding your bike around the back roads and a frontal system started moving in to your area, whether it be a warm and humid mass of air or cool and dry, now your tune is effectively not perfectly and you just wasted a lot of time.

You are using equipment that is more designed to get a precise tune... Which is great for a track vehicle, not for an every day street vehicle... Unless you want to screw with your carbs every time before you go riding. Even at the track, you may end up changing your jets/needles, etc, many times through out the day to keep your engine in the perfect A/F for it's max power delivery.

*I should say that if you are going to waste all this money, you should just buy an EFI engine and swap it in to your frame. At least then you will be working with something that can actually give you good information for data logging and can be modified on the fly in a few moments with the press of a key.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2010, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSteve View Post
      Um... Did you forget that you are working with carburetors? Did you forget that air density changes day-by-day and even hour-by-hour? What you tune for in the morning will be trash in the mid-day heat and humidity. And what you tuned for in the heat of the afternoon, will be crap in the cool night air. Even if you tuned the carburetors in perfectly (which is laughable at best) and you were out riding your bike around the back roads and a frontal system started moving in to your area, whether it be a warm and humid mass of air or cool and dry, now your tune is effectively not perfectly and you just wasted a lot of time.

You are using equipment that is more designed to get a precise tune... Which is great for a track vehicle, not for an every day street vehicle... Unless you want to screw with your carbs every time before you go riding. Even at the track, you may end up changing your jets/needles, etc, many times through out the day to keep your engine in the perfect A/F for it's max power delivery.

*I should say that if you are going to waste all this money, you should just buy an EFI engine and swap it in to your frame. At least then you will be working with something that can actually give you good information for data logging and can be modified on the fly in a few moments with the press of a key.
      Thanks for your input.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Thanks for your input.
        I second that

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSteve View Post
          Good post! Would it be terrible hard to adapt a motor to EFI instead of doing a whole EFI engine swap? I've looked at the MegaSquirt stuff, but I'd imagine you'd have to source throttle bodies, sensors, and a wiring harness at the minimum to make it work. I'd also imagine you'd have data-logging capabilities for every sensor, which would be pretty awesome. I bet you could even get a big bore motor to act nice and docile with enough tinkering.

Comment

Thanks for your input.
            You have my third.

I have very recently been talking to guys in the shops who say fuel analyzers will probably be at least 800. US$. Too much for my wishes, but I would be willing to pay around 400...

Thank you for all the good work you are doing on the research and reviews. I am still very interested in what you discover.

Comment

Originally posted by Qdude View Post
              You have my third.

I have very recently been talking to guys in the shops who say fuel analyzers will probably be at least 800. US$. Too much for my wishes, but I would be willing to pay around 400...

Thank you for all the good work you are doing on the research and reviews. I am still very interested in what you discover.
              You can get a afr and gauge for 175.00
              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Working...
              X