No announcement yet.

Electrolytic rust removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone think of a good reason why the inside of the tank cant be galvanized???

wouldn't it would be a simple matter of reversing the polarity and switching the anode for zinc?

Comment

Update!

I confess, after using electrolysis to remove a tonne of rust, I found that the inside was still coated in black stuff, so i soaked the tank in vinegar for a while. After the vinegar I rinsed with water then gasoline, then coated the inside with a healthy amount of WD-40.

A little more clear:

Never mind the paintjob... Im in the middle of removing the previous owners handywork.

Comment

So the vinegar removed the black stuff?
        Good to know, thanks!
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Good to know, thanks!
          It sure did, along with the flash rusting from my not moving fast enough the first time!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Good to know, thanks!
            Vinegar is the way to go - £0.12 a half litre in Asda (our Walmart) 'value' stuff does the trick (so it's real cheap to do). Leave it in for a day or two depending on how bad the rust is and then blast it out with a garden hose - just leave it running in there for about half an hour. Sit back with a beer and watch all the crud come out.

Finish off by adding some detergent and more rinsing. Make sure the tank remains full with the ever more diluted vinegar at all times. Pour the water out but before it dries whack in loads of WD 40 and swill it around or else it will rust before your eyes (you need to be very quick if it's a warm day). Leave the WD 40 to dry naturally - it won't taint the fuel later.

Don't mess trying to save the vinegar - if you've emptied too soon just buy some more - speed is of the essence to stop the flash rusting.

I always take off the tap / fuel sender (if there is one) and make up plastic seals as the vinegar could start to eat them.

Save a few teaspoons of (unused) vinegar to put on your chips to celebrate.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
            X