Hard Starting - 82 GS1100EZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Starting - 82 GS1100EZ

Got a mint condition 82 GS1100EZ that will start but stumble and stall. I have a portable fuel supply hooked up, vacum line plugged and new battery. Got good spark and the mixture screws at 2.5 turns out.

It will start for a few seconds then stall as if it runs out of gas. Carbs are nice and clean but I suspect the jetting may be way off. Also I don't think these are the stock carbs. Anyone have a good baseline for the jetting with pods?

The carb gods gotta answer that...but if it starts I would put some heavy socks over the pods just to see what it might do. Its a no-brainer that the carbs gotta come off.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

thos look like gs1000 carbs

Comment

Hi,

Yep, properly cleaned and jetted carbs should make you good to go.

Have you dipped the carbs yet? Set the float height, etc? A general rule for jetting with pipes and pods is to start by going up 4 sizes on the mains, one size on the pilot, and shim the needle. Use plug chops and read the spark plugs to adjust from there. Check my website for links to more tuning tips.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Pulled the carbs, nice and clean inside. Using 132.5 main jets and 30 pilot jets.
          I measured the carb throat and they're Vm33s. With a Kerker pipe and pods what jetting should I use?
          Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2010, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
            Pulled the carbs, nice and clean inside. Using 132.5 main jets and 30 pilot jets.
            I measured the carb throat and they're Vm33s. With a Kerker pipe and pods what jetting should I use?
            That jetting is about right.
            Nice carbs
            You may need to mess with the seperate fuel and air screws.
            I'm sure someone here had a good base setting for those 33s.
            If your valve clearance is off this will cause a starting and ideling problem also.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You mention " seperate fuel and air screws". I can't find them, only the screw on the outside of the carb body.

Comment

VM 29/33's only have one screw, the air screw on the top/side.

Sorry but I haven't a clue about jetting. Good luck.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Whoops
                  The only VM carbs I've worked on had seperate air/fuel screws.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X