Backyard Airbox Hack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backyard Airbox Hack?

I recently purchased a 86 550es. Going into it I knew I would need to clean the carbs. So I went to pull the air box to get to the carbs. And here's what I find:

Is this some sort of backyard hack to "get some more air" into the engine? I'm guessing I am going to have to find myself a new air box.

Appears so. Wouldn't think that would help much. I have tangled with a few of these. Try to keep it as stock as possible or she's gonna give you fits!

Comment

Mine looks like that, except I am also missing the side cover. I don't think it is hack, it is just missing the snorkle section. I think it was a seperate part that could be, but shouldn't be removed.

Comment

The snorkle is missing. If you can locate another rubber snorkle you'll be fine. Probably have to source another complete airbox though.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I thought that was where the snorkel went. Almost looked like it was cut out, the edges are pretty rough.

Guess I'll be looking into getting a replacement.

Comment

Yeah, it looks like it's a unit. Unfortunatlely it's not available anymore so you'll have to find a used one.

Comment

Just getting a new snorkle won't do. That's the same airbox i have on my 83' 550 and i can tell you someone has cut that hole in it. Stock it's only half that size.You will need to get the whole thing if you're going to keep it stock. (Highly recommended) You got the dual 2-barrels like me. Not a bunch of info or aftermarket parts for these ones. If you found someone who raced these particular engines back then you might have a half a chance at getting some performance advice. Other than that, keep it like they made it and tune it to death to get the most from it.

There is a guy in WI that has an 86 I think it is. WAYNESCYCLE.COM I have purchased a few parts from him. Good honest guy. Browse his site for parts bikes and you might find what you need. Good luck.

Comment

I should think that with the right kind of epoxy & plastic with silicon to seal the joints you stand a reasonable chance of making something that will do the job if you really get stuck....

By the way - I would go over the carbs carefully as the jetting & needle positions may have been modified to suit... so if you go back to stock = more problems.

Do you know any history on it? Previous owner report that it ran great or anything?
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
                  Just getting a new snorkle won't do. That's the same airbox i have on my 83' 550 and i can tell you someone has cut that hole in it. Stock it's only half that size.You will need to get the whole thing if you're going to keep it stock. (Highly recommended) You got the dual 2-barrels like me. Not a bunch of info or aftermarket parts for these ones. If you found someone who raced these particular engines back then you might have a half a chance at getting some performance advice. Other than that, keep it like they made it and tune it to death to get the most from it.

There is a guy in WI that has an 86 I think it is. WAYNESCYCLE.COM I have purchased a few parts from him. Good honest guy. Browse his site for parts bikes and you might find what you need. Good luck.

yup its been haxored
                  nasty thing to do

look on ebay

Comment

Originally posted by Munzo View Post
                    I recently purchased a 86 550es. Going into it I knew I would need to clean the carbs. So I went to pull the air box to get to the carbs. And here's what I find:

[ATTACH]10342[/ATTACH]

Is this some sort of backyard hack to "get some more air" into the engine? I'm guessing I am going to have to find myself a new air box.

get us a tighter pic if yah can
                    snorkel looks huge on this
                    its bigger than mine
                    \http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...Q5fAccessories

Comment

No needle clips on these. Only main jet, pilot jet, and pilot air jet can be replaced. Look for washers or shims under the needles. These needles are almost straight so you'd relly have to shim em a lot to get anything from them.

Comment

jetting on mine is

# 1 & 4 main 95
                        # 2 & 3 main 112.5
                        pilot # 45
                        pilot air forgot

needles only adjustable with washers/shims (none on mine)
                        low mixture screws 2-3/4 to 3-1/2 turns out

float hight .780" to .830"
                        fuel level .260" from carb base +/- .015

I set mine up to this and it runs nice and strong with all stock stuff. Airbox, filter, exhaust, etc....

Comment

jetting on mine is

# 1 & 4 main 95
                          # 2 & 3 main 112.5
                          pilot # 45
                          pilot air forgot

needles only adjustable with washers/shims (none on mine)
                          low mixture screws 2-3/4 to 3-1/2 turns out

float hight .780" to .830"
                          fuel level .260" from carb base +/- .015

I set mine up to this and it runs nice and strong with all stock stuff. Airbox, filter, exhaust, etc....

112??? my god man should that not be 102.5?

Comment

Sorry calvin. Yessssss. FAT fingers........... Thanks!

Comment

Sorry calvin. Yessssss. FAT fingers........... Thanks!

damn i was goona orde some up and get 20 extra hp
                              oh well

Comment

Working...
                              X