needle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

needle?

ok so on my 1982 gs1100ez i am playing with the needle trying to get my midrange better. well i went to shim my needle and when i pulled it it is maxed out the clip is sitting against the plastic stop so i cant raise it without cutting the plastic. what options do i have? is there a needle out there with more adjustment? is there a different plastic stop? thanks for the input

The most common thing that we do is to go to Radio Shack and get the $2 bag of assorted small washers. The smallest washers in that assortment are the correct size. Stack up a few washers, see how many it takes to equal the thickness of that nylon spacer, (it's usually 4). If it is 4, use 2 of them, put them on the needle. As you have noticed, the needle gets pushed up against a stop, having a thinner spacer at the top (this time it will be two thinner washers) will allow it to go higher. Two washers is about the distance of one groove on adjustable needles.

Last edited by Steve; 06-24-2010, 01:12 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X