Legaleli's exhausts aren't equal either

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legaleli's exhausts aren't equal either

My exhaust was modified (by me) because of a rusty H-pipe. #1 and #2 go into the left pipe and #3 and #4 go into the right.

I just completed a complete cleaning of my carbs and installed new o-rings. I just completed a complete valve adjustment. I did this because I was getting this uneqal pressure and thought it would help; it didn't.

I have to retune the carbs and balance them but before I do this I discovered one curiosity:

My left exhaust pipe has way more pressure than my right through the full range of rpms

My left water outlet on the bottom of my left exhaust pipe has way LESS pressure than my right through the full range of rpms

This suggests a blockage to me (pressure is greater at the water outlet but less at the back end). The outlets are equal size and place and the pipes don't leak at all except maybe a slight loss at the place where I repaired my h-pipe situation - though I can't feel any loss at that point (but on deceleration there is some popping so there's some loss somewhere - not much).

Thoughts? Should I trudge on through and try to balance and adjust the barbs first, or figure out this pressure thing first?

If you are noticing a big difference at the drip hole, it sounds like the muffler might be clogged.

How much trouble would it be to remove your pipes then snake a wire through the #3 exhaust inlet (the shortest path to the muffler) to see if something is clogged.

I know that due to the system of baffles in the stock mufflers, you will not be able to go straight through the pipe, but you might be able to compare the two mufflers.

Maybe you could bang the muffler with a rubber mallet to break up any obstruction?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

maybe 3 or 4 cyl has a compression issue? if one of the cylinders has an issue then you will notice a difference. do a compression check on all cylinders and compare
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I will do both a compression check and pull the muffler and bang the hell out of it and try to pass something through it! Thanks guys!

JHillier... if you're reading this I'm sending you a PM!

Comment

Saweeeeeet!

So I just pulled off the muffler and header on the right side and started banging away with a metal hammer (sorry no rubber but the muffler and pipes look sorry in any event). I mean I gave this thing about 200 hits and shook it and slammed it against the floor of my garage!

Then I put it back on.

Then I started my bike.

FIXED! Same exhaust pressure from each side!

Then I took it out for a short spin and rediscovered how freakin scary it is to open this thing up.

Thanks again guys... great advice.

Comment

O.K I'm afraid to ask...where's the drip hole?
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Hi,

In the computer service industry, we call this "impact maintenance"! I love it!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                O.K I'm afraid to ask...where's the drip hole?
                It's that little, 1/8" hole at the front of the muffler. Usually it's the lowest point in the exhaust system, but is always placed where it will catch condensation from the muffler, if you don't ride long enough to get it fully warmed-up.

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                In the computer industry, we call this "impact maintenance"! I love it!
                In many other industries, there is a procedure known as a "PM" that must be performed on a regular basis. On our bikes, that would include valve adjustments, oil changes, spark plug changes, etc. With the hospital equipment I work with, that includes voltage checks, proper waveforms, speed checks, etc.

The letters stand for Preventive Maintenance or Planned Maintenance, but in situations like this, it should really be Percussive Maintenance.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

It's awesome... now I have to start searching for a thread as to how to tune my carbs....

I have no idea how to do this!

Again many thanks from me to everybody on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by legaleli View Post
                    It's awesome... now I have to start searching for a thread as to how to tune my carbs....

I have no idea how to do this!
                    Hi,

This should get you started.

Carb Specs:
                    Float Height/Jetting/Tuning

Carb Notes:Synchronizing/Troubleshooting/Theory

Synchronize Carburetors on Mr. bwringer's site.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by legaleli View Post
                      "A thread"???

Come on. There have been thousands. Just pick one.

The first part of "tuning" the carbs is to make sure they are clean. There is a guide in the "Garage" section on the home page.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

On to carb adjustment!

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        "A thread"???

Come on. There have been thousands. Just pick one.

The first part of "tuning" the carbs is to make sure they are clean. There is a guide in the "Garage" section on the home page.

OK... I have my research done. I made the mistake of not bench sync-ing, but I think that once I get the mixture right in each carb using my colortune the carbtune will synch everything in any event.

I bought some clear tubing that is gas-friendly, and some smaller tubing for the vacuum hose. I have a bike lift that will hold the tank at the same level it is at now - but off the bike. I tried all this out yesterday and it mocked up perfectly. If the weather holds tonight I will bring my industrial fan home from the office to use to cool the bike and I"ll plat around for some time.

The weather is calling for a good evening - but we have a few weather related sayings in Newfoundland; if you don' like the weather out the front door, look out the back door; if you don't like the weather wait ten minutes.

Also, in the last 75 days only 9 have been without rain or drizzle, but 1/2 of the 75 have been pretty good days despite the rain or drizzle!

Pictures will follow this even's attempt!

Comment

Working...
                        X