To choke or not to choke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To choke or not to choke.

Hi Everyone, I haven't asked a question in awhile so, here goes.....

First of all, I know it's actually an enriching circuit.....

When starting one of our bikes from stone cold, how much choke should be required ?

I ask because I've seen some threads here where folks will say..."My bike starts right up without any choke at all."......Sorta like that's a good thing....is it ?

Seems to me that being able to start up without any choke at all would mean the idle/air adjustment screws are set to rich, thereby not needing much choke.....right or no ?
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Most of mine don't require more than HALF of the travel of the enrichment circuit.

Yes, it will start with more, but as I back it off, it runs better, so I usually start about half-way.

I agree that starting without using the "choke" might mean it's a bit too rich, but only plug chops will tell.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

I'm in the habit of using about 3/4 choke on my bike when it's stone cold. Maybe I don't have to use that much.

For some reason, the GS series of bikes have a reputation of being "cold-blooded". This is not true. A properly maintained GS will start with the slightest t...

I agree with Mr. Steve. If it starts cold with no choke the pilot circuit is probably too rich.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I use full choke and back it down to 2k or less rpm's as needed. Typically it fires right up and hits over 2k. Just the humidity and temp here effects it and runs it up or down from there.

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I concurr with GS110GKs method..thats how i do it too..start,,feather the choke,,let warm up well.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

About 1/2 choke for me as well. When temps are in the 40's, it needs full choke.

Comment

Above about 75 degrees F, it shouldn't need any choke at all if the pilots are set about right. The colder the temps, the more will be required. A cold engine starting fine with no choke in cold weather is a sure sign of over richness.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Above about 75 degrees F, it shouldn't need any choke at all if the pilots are set about right. The colder the temps, the more will be required. A cold engine starting fine with no choke in cold weather is a sure sign of over richness.
                  However, you're saying that a cold engine should start fine without any choke at about 75 degees F........I'm still learning about a proper tuning, but, to me, that would indicate richness as well.....No ?

What difference does the temperture make ?
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                    However, you're saying that a cold engine should start fine without any choke at about 75 degees F........I'm still learning about a proper tuning, but, to me, that would indicate richness as well.....No ?

What difference does the temperture make ?
                    Think cold air intake here Larry.

Comment

Originally posted by Danjal View Post
                      Think cold air intake here Larry.
                      Okay......I thought about it......Did I mention that before my 2 year education in the ways of the GS jedi, I knew next to nothing about engines ?

I know that colder air makes more horsepower....right ? So, how does it effect starting our engines, as it relates to the choke ? Colder air is more dense and therefore more enriching is needed ??

I'm realizing that it's a fine line for a well tuned GS. How the heck did they ever mass produce these things and have them tuned correctly leaving the factory ?

Just trying to educate myself.
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Cold air is denser. More compact. To maintain proper A/F ratio you need more fuel. Hence people cooling the intakes and adding in short ram etc. From a starting stand point its not much of a huge deal until you factor in the lowered compression from a non expanded block and pistons.

Simply said engines are air pumps. The more air it flows the higher performance you get out of it. You can add more air in by making it denser (forced induction or cooling it via intake water cooling, cold air intakes, etc.). Engines flow air by volume. So adding more air into say a 1 foot cube (air shrinks as you cool it) is going to let you dump more fuel into it for proper a/f mix. Likewise forced induction like blowers and turbos compress the air in the cylinder. (more air in, more fuel in) The same goes for fuel too. Colder fuel is denser. So one gallon of gas at 30 degrees isnt holding the same amount as one gallon at 120 degrees.

Heres a little something on gasoline and expansion rates. Its not an end all but it gives you the basics. Its pretty much targeted at gas stations and the like.

Its not much, but when you start looking into full race engines and the like every little bit helps. Chef or rapid ray can add more into this im sure. I just touched on the basics and in the upper areas my knowledge is limited on how to execute it. I know most of the tricks and why they work, its just the little this's or that's that add in the extra hp to a motor. That and tuning makes a huge deal.
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2010, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Full choke for this little duck . Back it off till idle settles to around 1500 rpm till it warms up (time it takes to put the riding gear on) and away we go . Hot or cold (weather) doesn't make a lot of difference , only affects how long it takes to warm up .

Cheers , Simon .
                          http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Thanks for explanation Danjal, I appreciate the info.

To be honest, the reason I asked this to begin with is my GS750L. I recently got a set of stock exhausts for it. Before I had an MAC single wall exhaust and the pipes turned a nice blue/gold color about 2 inches down from the header. I figured it was just the single wall exhaust because the bike runs great and the plugs look a nice tan color.

After I put on the stock duel wall exhaust, the pipes again are turning the blue/gold color. I pulled the plugs the other night and they look good, a nice tan color.

The thing is, I need very little choke to start it up and after a few seconds, I can shut off the choke and it will idle nicely at 1100rpm. So, I was thinking that I'm a little rich and the discoloring pipes are being caused by unspent fuel igniting at the hot header exhaust.
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I put my choke about half way maybe less, fires up to 3k, I back it down to 2.5k for a few seconds, then let it sit at 2k for a minute or so, then down to 1.5k.
                              All in all, I only let it run for a couple minutes, take off and once I get in 4th
                              or 5th gear, I take the choke off.

Usually it holds fine, occasionally it will stall If I don't let her warm
                              up enough, but usually I can tell what mood she's gonna be in by listening to it.

It's taken months and months of riding to get the bike to fire up with barely half choke.
                              It used to require full choke and took damn near 20 minutes in the winter.

I think it's a combination of the season warming up and the fact that the bike is actually being ridden
                              regularly instead of just sitting.

I 'll tell ya, these bikes really don't like sitting!
                              I let mine sit for 3 or 4 days to a week, and she don't sound happy! Lol.
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2010, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X