missing a spring.....????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

missing a spring.....????

missing a spring on my air adjusting screw on my carb, rrrrrrrrrrrrrr......guess i should check them all to see how many to order...

If I knew what bike and/or carbs, I might have one to offer.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

oopps sorry, 1981 gs1100e. i dont mind buying the parts i need, thank you very very much, its just that some people really dont think before they do things, why would you put it back together half azzed? theres two carbs that i checked that are ok, then i have one where the air screw will not come out, its strippin the top of the screw and this screwdriver fits perfect....man drilling that out isnt gonna be fun. i have penetrating oil in it now, hope that helps.

Comment

Don't drill out the screw. Cut the tunnel off leading to the top of the screw, put a notch in it, heat it and get it out.
        Use a dremmel to do the above.
        If you're scared I'll do it.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by SKD View Post
          ....man drilling that out isnt gonna be fun. i have penetrating oil in it now, hope that helps.
          Don't drill, DREMEL.

Use a larger cut-off wheel to cut a slot. I just had to do that to two of the four carbs I am working on right now, let me go get some pictures and add them to this in a few minutes.

Here ya go:
          Note the slots in the towers for the idle mixture adjustment screws on carbs 1&2.

I was having problems with 3 of the 4 screws on this set of carbs. I soaked them with PB Blaster for three days, then started applying heat. Used my little butane torch, was able to get #3 out. Used my bigger propane torch, was able to loosen up 1&2, but could not get more than a couple of turns. I turned the slot so it would line up with the groove I was about to cut (I like to go straight across, but had to angle #2 to avoid the vacuum fitting), then fired up the Dremel. By cutting deep enough to make a better groove on the top of the screw, they came right out. I had new screws to put in, along with the new o-rings, so everything is now good with the mixture screws.

Last edited by Steve; 06-25-2010, 01:28 AM.
          sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Don't drill, DREMEL.

Use a larger cut-off wheel to cut a slot. I just had to do that to two of the four carbs I am working on right now, let me go get some pictures and add them to this in a few minutes.

Watcha talking out Willis?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

man you guys are quick, just ordered 4 new airscrew set-ups, springs and all from z1. man im glad i saw this, guess i'll be using a dremel not a drill...i'll let that baby set up over nite with the pb blaster in it and see what happens. god i love this forum,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Watcha talking out Willis?
                Check out the update.

You need pictures of the Dremel and the cut-off wheel, too?

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by SKD View Post
                  man you guys are quick, ...
                  I guess that's better than the "half-fast" that I'm usually called.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Check out the update.

You need pictures of the Dremel and the cut-off wheel, too?

lol, nope, but i'll tell you what, those pics are perfectamundo when you get old like me its hard ta figure things out....lol

Comment

Check out the update.

Good stuff!

Comment

man this california berrymans carb dip kinda sucks, 20 hours of dip time and they dont look a heck of alot different. but they are better so onto the next one and i'll clean the first one up with a brush and some simple green....

Comment

I have not used Simple Green on carb parts, but I hear it can be rather corrosive, so be sure to rinse it quickly and completely.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

I have not used Simple Green on carb parts, but I hear it can be rather corrosive, so be sure to rinse it quickly and completely.

heard that same thing on here. did it right at the sink, dont tell the wife, and it got the rest of the junk off. so its onto the next carb, wooohoooo

Comment

I am missing springs on both carbs for my gs400s. I just aquired this bike and it seems someone had the carbs apart and seems to have lost some pieces. The springs o ring and washer are all missing. Where does one purchase these things. The springs for the slides are also missing.
                              alex

Comment

Working...
                              X