Rattling gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattling gas tank

I noticed a rattle whenever I slowed to a stop. I thought it was the front fender since the rivets holes are worn. But today I realized it is the tank.

I thought I had left out one of the bushings for mounting the tank but they are all there.
    They are only about 3 years old so they are not dried out.

I noticed the mounting hole at the back of the tank does not fit the bushing exactly. The mounting hole is oval shaped the bushing is round. Is this normal?
    1980 GS550L

Originally posted by goggles View Post
    I noticed a rattle whenever I slowed to a stop. I thought it was the front fender since the rivets holes are worn. But today I realized it is the tank.

I thought I had left out one of the bushings for mounting the tank but they are all there.
    They are only about 3 years old so they are not dried out.

I noticed the mounting hole at the back of the tank does not fit the bushing exactly. The mounting hole is oval shaped the bushing is round. Is this normal?

you have some pretty refined ears my friend
    I cannot say if its an issue with anything in the tank esp when you state the mounts are newish

is it posible its in another part of the bike?

Comment

a little lean forward...

I heard the rattle because it is fairly pronounced.

I discovered it was the tank because I leaned forward and the rattle stopped/was not as loud.

I am going to remove the tank tomorrow to see if there are any signs of it hitting the frame but do not like messing with gas in a closed garage.
      1980 GS550L

Comment

Originally posted by goggles View Post
        I heard the rattle because it is fairly pronounced.

I discovered it was the tank because I leaned forward and the rattle stopped/was not as loud.

I am going to remove the tank tomorrow to see if there are any signs of it hitting the frame but do not like messing with gas in a closed garage.
        you can likely isolate the vibration by doing some stuff

for example if you were to squeeze your legs o and forward when th esound beegins would it stop?

I think that the sound is ewither a rubber part or mebbe a piece of wiring that is resonating at a certain frequency

Comment

nothing ventured....

I had not thought about other possibilities.

Will see if I can isolate it.

Read on another thread about running bike on center stand to try and isolate sounds.

Maybe I will try that.

thanks.
          1980 GS550L

Comment

Keep the tank full
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

you can get some 1/2 inch thick peel and stick weather stripping and put along the frame where the tank sits to cushion and nest the tank down better. Also take your hand and put it on your gas cap to see if that is a bit rattly as well. Usually a new gas cap gasket solves this problem. On one of my 750s i noticed the gas cap cover was rattling..a few small squares of weather stripping under the cover solves that as well. Also check to be sure the two front tank mounts..the big rubber disks on the frame..are fitting snuggly into the tank mounts as well.
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-26-2010, 04:20 PM.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I have the same crazy ass rattle when I am downshifting to decelerate and it's fricken annoying and loud. Comes from the front somewhere and I haven't pin-pointed it yet. Let us know what you find out, Goggles.

Comment

STEVE...try touching the glass on the guages when you are doing the manouver,,,the glass has a small paper gasket between the glass and the plastic guage housings..time and shrinkage could have let the glass vibrate a bit. You could maybe VERY VERY carefully add a drop or two of superglue in startegic locations to stop it if thats the problem..... keep us posted.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ok, I will keep that in mind when I get out the bike again. I never hear it when I am riding normally or when I rev the engine... So it is weird.

Comment

so far nothing

I only had a few minutes over the weekend.

Put the bike on the centerstand and ran it.

Of course the rattle did not show up.

I will keep looking when I have the time.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
                      1980 GS550L

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        Keep the tank full
                        What he ^ said. When my tank is just about empty I hear a rattleing too. I think it's the gas gauge arm or float inside the tank. After I fill it up the rattle is gone.

Comment

it will do for now

I had the bike out for a ride. No rattle until I was really low on gas.

So I have concluded a couple things.

1. I had forgotten that the aftermarket petcock had minimal clearance so I am assuming at times it makes onctact with carb cover.

2. The rear mount connection must have been somewhat loose to allow that contact.

3. A full tank of gas does make a difference.

If by chance something more definite shows up I am happy with those conclusions for now.
                          1980 GS550L

Comment

Originally posted by JTsGS650 View Post
                            What he ^ said. When my tank is just about empty I hear a rattleing too. I think it's the gas gauge arm or float inside the tank. After I fill it up the rattle is gone.
                            I just got my bike back on the road after many years and over the last 2-3 tanks have noticed a rattle that starts when the fuel gets low. I have been suspecting the sender unit but came on the forum to get some ideas from others here. Looks like you have found the same thing JT and I would agree with your diagnosis.

This forum is awesome. The GSR certainly is a resource
                            Bill Alexander
                            New Zealand
                            78 GS1000 - Red
                            02 GSX1400 - Blue

Its is all about the journey not the destination

Comment

You never stated what type of bike it is.
                              I had a problem with big annoying rattle, I couldn't figure it out and it turned out to be the gas tank on a '79 GS1000E I had just got. There
                              was a cushion missing on the frame that the back bottom of the tank normally sits on,
                              it was gone. I stuffed a rag under the tank until I got a new cushion.
                              I found the missing one months later, sitting on top of the swing arm near where it bolts on the frame, I was fixing a flat tire at the time.
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X