where to find shims for needles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shimming needles.>>>>>>

hi guys,, i will be shimming my needles on my cv carbys it is easy to do after following the superb advice from the guys that have done it a gentleman in the states kindly sent me a small bag of tiny assorted flat washers which were from radio shack i think there is 20 of each size well worth getting good luck regards david

Comment

Originally posted by lesliew51@hotmail.com View Post
      hi guys,, i will be shimming my needles on my cv carbys it is easy to do after following the superb advice from the guys that have done it a gentleman in the states kindly sent me a small bag of tiny assorted flat washers which were from radio shack i think there is 20 of each size well worth getting good luck regards david
      They don't make little shiny round discs with holes in the middle in Oz?

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
        I wouldnt see where reducing the outer wouldnt be a real problem as long as the outside diameter of the washer fits into the hole. Why would it need to be "perfect"?
        Thickness and inside diameter is all that matters.
        Course ya'd wanna de-bur(sp) the edges.
        Well fellas I have tried exactly the method described and the washers ended up all over the place for thickness, and some ended up with a lip. Instead I just bought the right washers after a bit of a search (our radioshacks leave a person wanting around here, parts express was better) and job done. Of course a stage one kit works better IMHO but to each their own.

Comment

I found M3 and M2.5 stainless and shiny common washers at a Sears Hardware today. They also had some nylon washers that looked like they would work. I picked up half a dozen of the M3 and M2.5 for a grand total of about $1.50 so if you don't have a Radio Shack nearby try any hardware store with those assortment bins. The hardware supplier was call Hill something or other, a name I know I've seen before.

Before this I didn't even know Sears "Hardware" had hardware!

/\/\ac
          Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2010, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Josh,

I've shaved down washers like this several times and they turned out perfectly. You need to stack eight washers together, two per carb, and there won't be any lip on the edge when you are done. If you want to be real careful you can dress each reduced washer on a piece of 320 grit sandpaper to make sure there isn't a lip. The whole job takes less time than driving to the store, but hey, to each there own.
            Wouldn't you have to drive to the store to buy the washers, initially?

Comment

quick thread hijack... TCK, cooler works great. found out vacuum hose works for sh!t. fixed with no worries. Thanks again
              sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

#19 Yesterday, 01:36 AM Macmatic I found M3 and M2.5 stainless and shiny common washers at a Sears Hardware today. They also had some nylon washers that looked like they would work. I picked up half a dozen of the M3 and M2.5 for a grand total of about $1.50 so if you don't have a Radio Shack nearby try any hardware store with those assortment bins. The hardware supplier was call Hill something or other, a name I know I've seen before.
                Macmatic, have you used any of the washers from Sears yet? I have used the Radio Shack ones in the past and they have worked fine but I end up throwing out the rest.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Stainless
                82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Working...
                X