New to me GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me GS

Hi all, I'm new here, just got a 1983 GS550ES and this has been the best (almost only) source of info I've been able to find. Great site! I was especially thankful to find BikeCliff's website, a goldmine!

So here's my story; I was wasting some time on our local Kijiji classified site and ran across the GS for cheap. Sent an email out and went to look at the bike. Turned out it was an older lady whose husband had passed away a few years ago and she was cleaning out some of his stuff. It looked great, other than the two missing pieces of front fairing. He had bought the bike new, and it had been sitting in the barn under a tarp since 01, only 18,000kms (that's what 11,000 miles?) We had a bit of a fight to get it started that first time, but it sounded great when it finally caught. So I bought the thing for $800. Then the trouble starts, as I'm sure you can imagine with a stock GS that's been sitting for almost 10 years. I drove it around a bit, short trips from home to work, worked great except one episode where it stalled at a stop sign and wouldn't start. I had just given up and called a truck when it finally caught, then was fine. Then Friday I took it for a little longer drive, drove it in the yard, shut it off and it's never started since.
    It turns over great, has spark, not the best spark I've ever seen but should do the job. The plugs have white ash on them, and don't seem to be getting fuel, but the carbs looked great, and always have fuel in the bowls when the drains are loosened up. I managed to get it to start today, by taking out the air filter and spraying gas mist in with a old cleaner bottle. Once it gets started it will run. My best bet is the intake rings are bad and I'm not getting enough vacuum to draw the fuel in at the slow rpm of the starter motor, does this sound plausible to anyone else? If anyone has a better idea of what's going on I'd love to hear it!

The first thing I would do is a carb rebuild, the tutorial is on BassCliff's site. Cheap to do, and a lot easier than an engine rebuild.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Leigh7226,

You'll have to follow the maintenance lists and perform all the necessary tasks to get your bike safe and running good. There really are no shortcuts when a bike has been sitting that long. Let's get started.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Welcome aboard. Nice find on the bike. Please post some pics for us to ogle.

Now as the guys say there is not shortcut in getting an old sleeping bike back to running the way it was meant to. Carbs have to be cleaned and rebuilt, tank should be clean and petcock checked over, brakes must be looked at ( do not mess with brakes, you never know when you will need them) and electricals including charging need to be checked over. A lot to do but if you want it running right with no fuss or muss, you need to attend to these things.

All the info you need is here. Read over the tutorials and ask all the questions you need to. In no time you'll have it sorted.

Good luck and enjoy the new project.

Cheers,
        spyug

Comment

Thanks, Ill try to get some pics up as soon as I get some.
          I was counting on the carbs being fouled up when I bought it, and we've already taken them completely apart and cleaned them. The jets were a little gummed up but are clean now and everything looks good. I haven't checked the petcock yet, as there is always fuel in the bowls, but it's on the list now. The brakes were done by the local shop when I had the tires changed. The charging system is good now, I already dealt with it. The familiar story of a blown reg/rec, changed out for a new one from RMStator. I'm thinking it's connected to vacuum, either the o-rings for carb intake are bad, or maybe the valves out of adjustment? Anyway I'm hoping to get some work done on it tomorrow, I'll be sure to post when I figure this thing out.

Comment

Working...
          X