Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove air/mixture screw without removing carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove air/mixture screw without removing carbs?

Hi guys,

Silly novice question. i have a horrible feeling the mixture/air screw on No. 3 carb (BS32SS) may be broken. Is it possible to remove it without removing the carbs from the bike (just unscrew it right out) or will bits be left inside. If bits (apart from the possible broken bit) will be left behind, would a magnetic pickup tool be strong anough to draw them out?

cheers

Originally posted by Ricko19 View Post
    Hi guys,

Silly novice question. i have a horrible feeling the mixture/air screw on No. 3 carb (BS32SS) may be broken. Is it possible to remove it without removing the carbs from the bike (just unscrew it right out) or will bits be left inside. If bits (apart from the possible broken bit) will be left behind, would a magnetic pickup tool be strong anough to draw them out?

cheers
    If it's broken it'll leave pieces inside not matter what, might as well pull it out before you pull the carbs and see what you've got. If it is broken you might be able to get the tip out with a magnetized pick or something but if it was me I'd probably pull the carbs and try to blow it out with compressed air as a first attempt.

Why do you think it's broken?

/\/\ac

Comment

needle

The air mixture screw should come right out but will have a spring aswell in the hole. I found on my bike that the fuel needles were broke off the tips in the carbs since they go down to a real sharp point it easy to break them off from seating them down to tight but the air mixture needle is more blunt to much thicker on the end and maybe tougher to break off in the hole. Just a thought from my experience and made it not adjust with the airmixture screw when it was like that. Once I got them out it was like a new bike. If your air needle is broke you might be able to poke it out thru the hole in the carb from the inside thats what I did with the fuel needles.

Comment

i think theres a spring, washer and o-ring in there. you should be able to get them out with a small dental tool or piece of wire.

Comment

There should be no problem removing the mixture screw while the carbs are still attached to the bike.

Yes, there will also be a spring, a small washer and an o-ring in there, I use a drywall screw to get them out.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            There should be no problem removing the mixture screw while the carbs are still attached to the bike.

Yes, there will also be a spring, a small washer and an o-ring in there, I use a drywall screw to get them out.

dang, thats an awesome idea, never even thought of that one....

Comment

Originally posted by SKD View Post
              dang, thats an awesome idea, never even thought of that one....
              Stick around, we are full of it, er, ... them, ideas, that is.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Easy to remove, but if the point is broken off YOU will have to remove them...

Comment

Thanks guys When i first got them back from a friend who stripped and cleaned them, i think I may have tighened it too much when trying to seat it. It was my first experience with carbs and tuning.

Now, there seem to be a couple of tight spots when I try to close it to measure my turns out for tuning. I went past a couple of these when i first got them back and can't seem to find a definate seated position to go from, so thats why I'm thinking my heavy handedness my have done some damege (one of the 'tight spots' was probably the seated position)

I had a hell of a time getting the bloody carbs and boots back on so was REALLY hoping I didn't have to remove them again anytime soon!

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Stick around, we are full of it, er, ... them, ideas, that is.

this is why i stick around....

Comment

indeed!

Comment

Working...
                      X