Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much vacuum should be coming off Carb #2

Hey now,

I just got a new petcock for my 82 GS650 and I still need to put the petcock in the prime position, mainly to start it and it runs better as well. I've run the bike in the "On" position for a while but the bike will die out on me at high speeds. I just had the bike cut out on me on the highway. Not sure what exactly is wrong but I'd figure I'd attach a gauge to the #2 carb and see how much vacuum is pulling of that.

Anyone know what a healthy carb pulls for vacuum? or should be pulling?

Thanks

leave the gas cap loose & see if it starts while in the on position... The tank vents through the cap & they get clogged sometimes.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I'd check the compression.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

Are you using an inline fuel filter?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The actual amount of vacuum will vary from bike to bike, but while synchonizing carbs, I typically see about 16-18 cm of mercury on the gauge.

Pull the hose off the back of the petcock, start the engine. If you feel vacuum at the hose, you have enough.
          Numbers don't really matter, it does not take much to open the petcock.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for info. I put the vacuum gauge on tonight and it flutters around 18-24 which says its normal. This is while idling around 1300 RPMs. Still got issues when I take her out on the road.

Comment

could be the tank vent or it could be the float bowls are draining faster than there filling
              it's sounding like this could be a fuel flow problem more than anything else at the moment after reading your other thread
              however if you don't know the history of the bike then it would be best to do a full rebuild of the carbs and do all the orings
              in the carbs and on the intake boots
              others have mentioned it and it is with good reason that it has been suggested to you to do it
              Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2010, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X