Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken clamp where Exhaust meeds Cylinder Head!?(what's this called?)(pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken clamp where Exhaust meeds Cylinder Head!?(what's this called?)(pic)

Well i noticed one of the clamps that holds the exhaust on at the cylinder head is cracked. Bike still rides perfectly fine.

Anyways.....

1.) What is this part called and where do I get one....looked all over!

2.) Is it aluminum or steel?
    (Because I plan on welding it back together if they cost too much or I cannot find one anywhere.)

Thanks!
    mike

its called a header clamp, and its aluminium
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Believe it or not, it is usually called a clamp. I just looked at a fiche at Bike Bandit, and they do not show a part number. You might try one of the other vendors such as babbittsonline or flatout to see if it is shown as a separate part.

Comment

They are part of the pipe.. I don't remember which. two of them are perminately captured, maybe all 4 - you would have to cut the pipe the other two are installed with a spacer collar
        Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2010, 04:52 PM.

Comment

ahh this sucks, babbitts doesn't have it either......their diagram is straight from the Manuals picture, so neither of them label that Clamp as a seperate part.

Well looks like I might just try to clean it and weld/hold it in place, or maybe JB Weld it so it doesn't further break apart.

I don't have the money for an exhaust system, so I guess I'm just going to ghetto rig it for now.

--------

The bike wont be hurt riding like this will it......it's not even noticable unless Im doing like 70mph, then I can hear a "tick" noise.....but it's possible that the noise is my tank rattling again.....

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post

I don't have the money for an exhaust system, so I guess I'm just going to ghetto rig it for now.
            Best ghetto rig would be to leave it alone, JB won't do it.

It won't hurt anything until the exhaust starts leaking.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I agree... if the pipe is sealed then leave well alone until you're ready to deal with a worst case scenario if you have to (i.e. can afford to replace the pipes). JB weld will not take the heat or the vibrations at that point.

Welding will be difficult because they are cast (part of the reason it's snapped... they are brittle!

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Im not sure about your bike but on my 78 those can be romoved without any cutting simply by taking the pipe apart just in front of the crossover.
                They're also not aluminum. They're pot metal or cast metal.
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Alright guys, it turns out that I DO have $400 to play with this month.
                  (no car payments anymore, I totally forgot)

What system should I get?
                  I like the megaphone style, with removable baffles and comes apart half-way like normal......since I plan on going Stage 3 jet in the near future.

-------
                  Also, what are my chances of breaking exhaust bolts?
                  I MUST have my bike on 4th of July......And I don't want to be stuck around the garage all week wrestling a bunch of broken bolts!

If I order an exhaust, I'll probably be tempting to bolt it on right-away,

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                    Alright guys, it turns out that I DO have $400 to play with this month.
                    (no car payments anymore, I totally forgot)

What system should I get?
                    I like the megaphone style, with removable baffles and comes apart half-way like normal......since I plan on going Stage 3 jet in the near future.

-------
                    Also, what are my chances of breaking exhaust bolts?
                    I MUST have my bike on 4th of July......And I don't want to be stuck around the garage all week wrestling a bunch of broken bolts!

If I order an exhaust, I'll probably be tempting to bolt it on right-away,
                    spray them the whole time your waiting for your pipes with pb blaster or penetrating oil, chances for them coming out go up alot.

Comment

You may try posting a thread for that part, we all have mini part warehouses in are garage. Someone on here is bound to have one lying in the bottom of a milk crate.

Comment

if you MUST have the bike on the fourth, leave it alone.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I agree with tkent... Let it go until after the 4th. Keep spraying the bolts down and just wait. Murphy's Law dictates that if you try to monkey with it now, all hell will break loose and you won't have your bike running on the 4th lol.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            if you MUST have the bike on the fourth, leave it alone.

Something we agree on..

I might even go so far as to not mess with it at all till fall. This could easily turn into a short winter project.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Kroil worked well for me on the bolts... I sprayed them every day for about 3 weeks.
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X