exhaust leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust leak

I have an exhaust leak on the gs and can"t really tell if I need a new gasket between the header pipe and place where the two go into one'or whether I need to find a welder.When started the crossover seems to leak as well.Is there a common spot on these that goes bad?

Those exhaust gaskets are a common place for a leak. You may just need to tighten them a little, but, replacing them is easy.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
      Those exhaust gaskets are a common place for a leak. You may just need to tighten them a little, but, replacing them is easy.

Can you pick up that wire mess gasket from somewhere? or do have to buy OEM?
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I bought mine OEM, about $15.00 apiece. They are very tightly woven mesh. I wouldn't know where to begin to look otherwise. They fit pretty snugly into the pipes.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I just bought two from the stealership, I'll get them next week, $21.40 ea. High price for two little donuts, I looked all over on the 'net for them, ended up buying OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
            I just bought two from the stealership, I'll get them next week, $21.40 ea. High price for two little donuts, I looked all over on the 'net for them, ended up buying OEM.
            Actually, they are pretty stout. Very heavy and tightly woven. I think by the time you paid shipping, you'd be about the same price, Dan. I found that price at partshark.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Larry D

What would be wrong with wire or tig welding them.I can't understand the need for the design.I think the clamps are crap, sorta pricey too

Comment

I guess you could weld them up....that connection is there for ease of removal/install. Might be a pain in the future.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                X