Cleaning again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning again

okay.. so i have never cleaned a carb before..

last week i took the carbs off..
    bowls off cleaned them and the floats.. sprayed all the holes with starting fluid..

now there is what i thought was the jet..
    a large bolt took a 10mm to get it out if i remember.. with a screen on the other end.. i cleaned it and soaked it..

put it all back together.. it helped a LITTLE not enough to get the bike to drive.. but it idled better..

so there off again..

now that i looked again.. there is something else that looks simalar to a jet..

its brass has a flat head slot to unscrew it.. so i took it out.. its soaking now... but i am unable to see through it at this point...

is this a jet?

whet else need cleaned?

what is this?

Comment

Originally posted by Im Faster View Post
      what is this?

That is a pilot jet, it meters the fuel at idle and low speed throttle openings.

Comment

What kinda bike you working on?
        Have you gone through the awesome welcome pages Basscliff gave ya?
        There is a killer diller carb cleaning series that will tell ya all you need to know.

Looks like a pilot jet..
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

okay.. so i have never cleaned a carb before..

last week i took the carbs off..
          bowls off cleaned them and the floats.. sprayed all the holes with starting fluid..

now there is what i thought was the jet..
          a large bolt took a 10mm to get it out if i remember.. with a screen on the other end.. i cleaned it and soaked it..

put it all back together.. it helped a LITTLE not enough to get the bike to drive.. but it idled better..

so there off again..

now that i looked again.. there is something else that looks simalar to a jet..

its brass has a flat head slot to unscrew it.. so i took it out.. its soaking now... but i am unable to see through it at this point...

is this a jet?

whet else need cleaned?
          The carbs need to be fully taken apart and dipped to be done properly.
          Also, order an o-ring kit from Robert Barr he is a member here. After a few decades the numerous o-rings in these carbs deteriorate and leak, compounding your problems.
          Put you bike info in your signature so we know what you have.

Comment

its a 83 gs450..

well after soaking and useing a SOFT wire i wasable to open up the jet..
            i can finally see through it..

Comment

That most certainly is a pilot jet. There are no short cuts when cleaning your carbs - thoroughly do everything twice (or else you'll be doing it again.......). Plus check the rubber O rings are soft and not cracked or replace them.

The guide rebuild below is for a 4 carb set up but the carbs are similar to yours and you only have to do half the work.

79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

okay.... so put it all back together and it runs and drives.. just took it around the block...

seems to be sluggish on high rpms.. but i dont have a working tach so im not sure
                it for sure needs to be ridden and cleaned out some..

i do have a little smoke

Comment

update:

okay took it to walmart...
                  the bike only goes up to about 35max down hill lol

note..
                  i have not put a airfilter in(by bro says thats why im having this issue)
                  the guy i bought it from has a piece of memory foam crammed in there..
                  my replacement came in today just havent made it there to get it..

Comment

As mentioned, you are likely going to need to pull things COMPLETELY apart to get it right. The air filter is a REAL BIGGY as it pertains to the bike running correctly. Without a filter at all, it will never rung right. Will be WAAAAYYYYYY too lean and just make you mad.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Im Faster,

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

And to tell you that your "mega-welcome" contains a couple of maintenance lists of things for you to check, clean, replace, repair, etc, in order for you to have a safe and reliable motorcycle. Please take no shortcuts.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2010, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Air filter in...
                        Rides now.. but won't idle it stalls every time i stop... abd nweds 1/4 throttle to start

Comment

The answers you seek can be found hidden in plain sight in posts 4,5,7,10 & 11...
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Air filter in...
                            Rides now.. but won't idle it stalls every time i stop... abd nweds 1/4 throttle to start
                            WEll $hit! Toss it behind the dumpster. Or better yet you can do some reading. Read it twice if you have to, three times..
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Spend some time reading this site. Educate yourself some.

And for the love of all things Suzuki

Clean and rebuild the freakin' carbs correctly !!!!!!

All the answers you seek are here....just heed the words of folks who have be there, done that.
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X