Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting!

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
    I suspect this is where the US and UK model differences are throwing things. My 1000 is a 79 GS1000SN fitted with the 50mm bolt centre tap - the 'screwdriver to prime' POS. This is the smallest tap that's fitted to all the bikes and it's a tight fit. The Z1 tap is threaded in to a Pingel 50mm adapter plate - as much room, though a little tight on the fuel line routing as the Z1 tap exits towards the rear (so I have the tap angled slightly off square).

On the UK spec 1980 GSX1100ET (equivalent of the 1980 US GS1100E) that I will finish completely rebuilding tomorrow (hurrah) the tap is the 44mm bolt centre type and there is more room than both taps on the 1000. It has on/res/prime lever positions but is still a small tap (though not as small as the 1000 original).

As the fuel tap sits slightly more forward on the GS1100E than on the 1000 and the outlet of the standard tap faces backwards, the issue I had with the Z1 tap on the 1000 won't be there.

Incidentally I used the innards from the 1000 tap to replace those of the 1100 - they match up.
    That's very interesting!!! On the U.S. models, the '79 1000S is fitted with a 44mm spread petcock (with a handle) and the '80 1100E has the 50mm spread petcock (with the crummy slot).

After I thought a little more about your posts, I thought since you're in England, it might make a difference.

By the way, I measured a stock POS (slot) petcock and it's only 36mm from top to bottom. If someone added an aftermarket petcock that required an adapter plate, it would have to be even smaller in order to accomodate the plate. As it is, the stock petcock barely fits. (It could maybe be 40mm.)
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 07-02-2010, 06:25 PM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      As per the ones who know better (ie Terry Ray etc. You know.... Dragbike guys. I wouldn't put a pingel on my bike if it was the only thing available) the way the pingel petcocks are designed, if you twist the valve while it's dry, you've effectively ruined it. It's nothing but orings that work it, and running the switch dry will rip them. Maybe that's perhaps why you've had so many problems? Personally, I'd rather hand pump gas into the carbs going down the road than put a pingel on my bike but that's just me. If you forget to to shut it off even one time, there's a good chance you're going to have gassy oil.
      I agree 100% (though I was brought up on turning taps off so that was never an issue). IMHO Pingels are a bigger POS than that 50mm Zook tap. And why they cost a £million is beyond me - a tenner would be about right.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
        That's very interesting!!! On the U.S. models, the '79 1000S is fitted with a 44mm petcock (with a handle) and the '80 1100E has the 50mm petcock (with the crummy slot).
        Just to confuse things further we also had those taps on those bikes in those years. It's just that we also had some different as well . The 50mm taps went on the red GS1000S that you guys didn't get - all the blue ones had the 44mm tap. Pass on what they were up to with the 1100.

Most 'un-Suzuki-like'.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Confusing Japsters!!

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          Just to confuse things further we also had those taps on those bikes in those years. It's just that we also had some different as well . The 50mm taps went on the red GS1000S that you guys didn't get - all the blue ones had the 44mm tap. Pass on what they were up to with the 1100.

Most 'un-Suzuki-like'.
          How unusual!! By the way, we were in Portsmouth last June. We absolutely LOVED it!! We can't wait to return...and we will!
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Well, to clarify, I took the petcock out and measured the bolt to bolt centerline and it came out to be 50 mm (50.038mm to be exact) but judging from the reactions here the pingle valve is not the way to go for someone like me who is prone to doing something stupid. I took apart the OEM valve and I found that the PO (previous owner) had removed the closing spring for some unknown reason. I guess I should just go with an OEM setup. Anyone got a spring?? haha.. I am assuming I have to order the entire assembly and not just a spring...

Thanks for the help guys!

BUBBA

Comment

Working...
            X