messed up mixture screw theads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

messed up mixture screw theads

I cleaned my carbs and when i was going back together with them, don'task me how but i managed to screw the threads up on the mixture screw hole on one of my carbs. I have an 81 gs850g by the way. Wat i was wondering is if i can rethread the hole and if so what thread is it. I'm guessing its probably metric, right?

Originally posted by jaybo1 View Post
    I cleaned my carbs and when i was going back together with them, don'task me how but i managed to screw the threads up on the mixture screw hole on one of my carbs. I have an 81 gs850g by the way. Wat i was wondering is if i can rethread the hole and if so what thread is it. I'm guessing its probably metric, right?
    If you have a tap the right size you can try running it up and down the threads to try and repair them enough that the mixture screw will thread back in. Don't run the tap to the bottom of the bore, use the mixture screw to reach the deep threads. Use plenty of oil then spray the fuel passages out with carb cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by jaybo1 View Post
      I'm guessing its probably metric, right?
      Em, yes, every suzuki thread in the world is metric.
      Unlikely you'll find a tap to fit it though, as it's a very fine thread.

Comment

as I recall it is a 7mm tap

Comment

I think I would try to find a stainless steel screw the same size and pitch of the mixture screw threads to chase the damaged threads with. If you don't follow the exact path of the original threads, a tap could do more damage than good. Alignment to center is critical. A SS screw won't cut a new path in aluminum as easily as a tap unless you really force it, but it is hard enough to smooth out the damage if you carefully run it in an out until you find the correct path.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray
            NOT!!! It is a 4mmX.75 thread. Ray.

I have that tap... it's a non-standard size you'll most likely have to order.

M6 x .50

very fine thread - i like the idea oldvette had to chase it with another screw first. Clean the threads well with solvent then grease them up good & try to straighten out the threads. lots of air gun blasts as you go...
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Thanks for the info and ideas guys, i think i'll do what old vet said to do first

Comment

Working...
              X