ok, where do you get the special tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, where do you get the special tool

where the heck do theses japenese people come up with their engineering? this needle jet snap ring is a joke, do they even make snapring pliers that fit down there? if so who and where are they? i hate engineering that could be simple that they make so fricken hard.....rrrrrr.....
    ok rant over

Cheap long needle nosed pliers from Harbor Freight work just fine.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

tried the needle nose plies, dont have any that have the perfect ends on them.
        ohhhhhh z1 my favorite place, if i cant find any locally tomorrow, z1 it is...man im thinkin z1 owes me a t-shirt too....
        thanks guys....

Comment

Originally posted by SKD View Post
          tried the needle nose plies, dont have any that have the perfect ends on them.
          So grind em down until they fit, and spend a little time cussing at that ninety year old gook engineer that designed this crap.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            So grind em down until they fit, and spend a little time cussing at that ninety year old gook engineer that designed this crap.
            did that already, wifes laughin at me cause of it....lmao...

Comment

ahhh, found an old set inside the old toolbox, snap ring pliers ground down ta almost nothin, check....lol

Comment

wasn't so hard now then was it... lol

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Mikuni is Korean?
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                    Mikuni is Korean?
                    Seriously, if you're going to break out the racial epithets, use the right one! Give the little nips the credit they deserve!

Back on topic, I used a set of right angle snap ring pliers for these. I bought em from Mike's XS, since I was buying other carb parts anyways, but you can get the same thing at Harbor Freight, and a few others that will work as well. Just make sure the reach is sufficient to get in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      Mikuni is Korean?
                      No, Vietnamese.....
                      sigpic

SUZUKI:
                      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I just cleaned/rebuilt a set of Keihin carbs off an older V45 Honda for a friend of mine...

Thoses needles are held in place by a 3-eared plastic cap that has a nut molded into it. You simply use a socket on an extension and turn the cap about 60 degrees to remove/secure it.

Much easier than those Mikuni snap rings...
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I've removed hundreds of those with the HF cheapo needle nose. I didn't even modify them.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
                            wasn't so hard now then was it... lol
                            nope, painless..lmao their outta the old, i never use, toolbox. so now the snapring pliers have gone to the suzuki gods and are now part of the bike

Comment

Working...
                            X