fuel out vent tube in prime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
    Don't mess with the floats. Replace those o-rings. Get the kit from Robert Barr at Cycle O Rings Dot Com, and rebuild those puppies the right way. Even if they look ok, I guarantee you that those o-rings are trash at this point in time, if they're not been replaced. Imagine how you'd feel if you were dunked in gasoline for thirty some odd years. The problem gets worse each time you take them apart because those o-rings are tearing a little each time they get pulled. You might not be able to see the tears, but the fuel will find a way through.
    Ditto
    O-rings
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
      The needle valve may have stuck open when you took them out. Try tapping on them with a screwdriver or something.

Does it flow out if the bike is off and the petcock is set to ON ? It shouldn't.

Basically, fuel will flow freely in the PRI position whether the bike running or not. The only thing ,at that point, to keep it from overflowing is the needle valve seats.

If you have fuel flowing in the PRI postion, you're supposed to. If it's overflowing, then you have issues with the needle valves.

If you have fuel flowing with the petcock in any other position with the bike NOT running, your petcock is done.

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
      Don't mess with the floats. Replace those o-rings. Get the kit from Robert Barr at Cycle O Rings Dot Com, and rebuild those puppies the right way. Even if they look ok, I guarantee you that those o-rings are trash at this point in time, if they're not been replaced. Imagine how you'd feel if you were dunked in gasoline for thirty some odd years. The problem gets worse each time you take them apart because those o-rings are tearing a little each time they get pulled. You might not be able to see the tears, but the fuel will find a way through.

Comment

Petcock is OK. It flows on prime, and doesn't when off prime. Good or bad though, the float needles are supposed to stop the gas. Maybe it's some crap in them from a dirty tank or as said just replace them and the orings. Oh yeah, if it's got brass floats maybe one of them is full of fuel and sank or maybe the float is binding or sticking when you put the bowl back on. Shake the carb, you should hear the float rattle. It shouldn't be that difficult to figure out ........famous last words.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Floats rattle and are integral (empty of fuel). O-rings makes sense from my experience and troubleshooting on these carbs. Got the O-rings on the way and will cautiously replace each upon arrival. I truly appreciate understanding the "why" of what I am doing.

Comment

Originally posted by cowb0y View Post
            Floats rattle and are integral (empty of fuel). O-rings makes sense from my experience and troubleshooting on these carbs. Got the O-rings on the way and will cautiously replace each upon arrival. I truly appreciate understanding the "why" of what I am doing.
            When you're sliding them back in the seats with the new orings, put a little spit on 'em so they will slide in easily. Be careful not to nick them.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

All suggestions are good, so far, but I have a question of my own:
              Originally posted by cowb0y View Post
              Fuel streams out the vent tube between carb one and two while petcock in "prime" and bike not running.
              Why do you have the petcock in PRIme and the bike not running?

Yeah, I see where it happens when in the RUN position, too, but at least, when the bike is not running, the petcock will shut off the flow of fuel.

As mentioned (repeatedly), you have an issue with the float valves not sealing. You said the needles looked okay, but the needles are not the only sealing surface. The seats also need to be immaculately clean and it is so hard to see in there to check them. I just got new valves and seats from Parts-n-More for $8 each, so it's not all that expensive to change them. (Note that Parts-n-More has a $35 minimum, so you will need to find something else to buy, too. I got a new front brake switch for $6. )

One other item to check: are you measuring your float height at the correct location? You do not measure from the top of the float, you measure to the bottom of the step. This picture is not quite right, but you should have a better idea where to measure:

An actual float being measured:

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

what about the screw on the bottom? that happened to me, it was not tight enough and fuel started comeing out of the vent

Comment

Originally posted by moose200 View Post
                  what about the screw on the bottom? that happened to me, it was not tight enough and fuel started comeing out of the vent
                  Which "screw at the bottom"?

I have to ask, because depending on what bike you have, there is only one screw or two screws.

On the '80 and newer bikes with CV carbs, the only screw on the bottom is the drain screw for the float bowl. If that is not tight, yes, it will leak.
                  If you have a '79 or older bike with VM carbs, there is also a pilot fuel screw under the carb, but it should NOT be tight, it should be out 5/8 to 3/4 turn.

However, the "tightness" of either of those screws will NOT affect whether gas comes out the vents.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here is a little summary I made for someone a while back:
                    http://www.mediafire.com/file/0yucmnmwnjj/Needle and seat in BS34 CV and other carburettors.pdf

Maybe it will help you.

Comment

This may not be your problem but I had the inner rubber disc in my petcock, that controls fuel flow direction, start deteriorating after 30 years of use. It would shave a hardened piece of the disc about the size of a fleck of black pepper occasionally when switched to prime or between on and reserve and it would flow down and stick a needle valve open. Because it was on the downstream side of the tank standpipe filter it bypassed it. I tore my carbs apart 3 times before I finally found the small piece in the needle. When I disassembled the petcock I could see the area around one of the holes in the disc had been coming apart for some time.
                      78' GS1000EC
                      79' GS850GN
                      79' GS1000N
                      79' GS1000EN
                      81' GS1100EX

Comment

I've had this problem for the past 3 weeks and finally fixed it.

Maybe this will help.

How can this happen?

1. If its the petcock or tank:

- Petcock diaphragm busted and fuel leaking into one cylinder ( the one your vacuum line is connected to)
                        - Tank is not venting and is pressurizing and forcing the gas past the needle and seats regardless of how well they seal.

2. Needle seats and needle/ Seat O-rings.

- Hard to tell if they are worn by sight unless its really obvious.
                        - O-rings will make them leak around the seats

- Setting the float height too high makes them top out and not close the needle valve
                        - Setting the float height too low makes them not have enough force to close the needle.
                        - worn needles and seats makes it harder to adjust the float level.

I fixed mine by looking at what it was actually doing with the float bowls off.

Took the float bowl off and set the petcock on prime, gas would flow until I pushed the floats high enough. Took that measurement and it was higher than the book specs so I set the float height again and again and still it would bypass the needle. but they looked great to the naked eye.

So replaced all needle, seats, and O-rings.

Problem solved regardless of what I set the float level too now.

P.S Avoid sandblasting a gas tank that isn't sealed perfectly :P

On mine, sand made it past the in-tank filter and the inline filter and the filter on the needle seat and ruined the needle seat.
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2010, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X