Some one please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some one please help!

I have a 1979 GS850 and so far this bike has been nothing but pain.......

Big confession for me--- This is the first motorcycle I have ever owned, and I have never worked on a motorcycle before. I have worked on other mechanical things a bit (aircraft, HVAC, etc.). So I am not a red hot mechanic, but I am a quick learner.

I rode this bike for a few hours, then it died (flat bed home). Actually had the electrical harness mostly melt...that was fun.....(flat bed home). Did some electrical work and it started again..The prior owner admitted to using cheap gas, so I stepped up--flused the tank and have only used premium with seafoam.

The bike ran for a few hours then died (flat bed home).

Reading this site i tried to do all I could before sending this email, to date I have:

Replaced and gapped plugs.
    Drained old fuel out, new premium and seafoam in.
    Cleaned gas cap vent.
    Sealed air box.
    Changed engine oil to Amsoil 10W40.
    Changed the fuel filter.
    Done a ton of wiring as a lot of the old wiring burned up--added ground wire to RR, will add anohter one from RR to frame ground when I get this beast running.

Finally, I got up the nerve to PULL THE CARBS for cleaning. I down loaded the "carb cleanup series" and off I went. Soon I realized that the carb pictured in the series is NOT the same as the carbs mounted on my bike..undaunted, I continued removal and dissassembly.

I brought the carbs down to "parade rest," soaked them in carb cleaners, used the wire from a wire brush and compressed air to make sure the obstructions were clear (some were pretty clogged). Finally I put the beast back together.....

As the carb series had a differnt carb pictured, I had to interpolate my reassembly.

So now the carb is back on the bike and it seem like NO FUEL IS FLOWING to the bowls!!!

I have a clear fuel filter, so I see fuel to that point. When I crank the bike I do NOT see fuel moving (bubbles) through the filter, this tells me the carbs aren't drawing fuel in.

When I use some spray ether in the air box, the bike will star for about 2-3 seconds (sounds pretty good) then dies...grrrrrrrrrr....

What have I done wrong??? Someone help me, please.... I have only had a few hours of riding and many hours of pain from this bike.

I am grateful for any advice or suggestions.

Thanks!!!

What's your petcock set on?

Comment

did you hook up the vacuum line to the petcock?

Comment

Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

I have the tank removed completely, and have an improvised fuel bottle direclty attached to the fuel inlet "T."

I have a piece of tape over the vacumn hose opening.

There are three similar tube connections on the middle of three of the carbs. I have the vacumn hose on #2, with tape over the opening.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

Is it possible I have reassembled the carbs incorrectly?

I have the choke fully out, and I have cranked and cranked with the vacumn like taped and untaped...

No dice.....

Incidentally, I do have spark and I do have compression.

Comment

Remove on of the float bowl drain plugs and confirm either fuel or no fuel. If fuel is present, we will move on. If not, we will figure out why.

Comment

Hi,

You have VM carbs on your bike (not CV). The rebuild guide you want to follow is this one.

VM Carburetor Rebuild Guide
              (Courtesy of GSR and Paul Musser)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Also, you have a 79 with VM carbs

The vacuum port is the one just right of center, on the #3 carb

You're plugging up the overflow for 1-2

Also, you've answered your own question. There is fuel to the fuel filter, but not to the carbs

Take off the fuel filter and see what happens

I'm just guessing, but I bet it's an automotive filter made for fuel injection

PS, you're wasting your money using premium - it's not "better". GSes are designed to run on 87 octane
                Last edited by Big T; 07-02-2010, 05:35 PM.
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Wow, good stuff!

I will download the new carb guide, then and move my hose to the correct vacumn hole.

With the vacumn hose on the correct hole, will cranking the engine draw fuel into the bowls, or do I need to somehow manually fill the bowls with fuel?

Thanks!

Comment

Did you prime to fill the carbs after the carb cleaning?
                    http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                    1978 GS1000C
                    1979 GS1000E
                    1980 GS1000E
                    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      Also, you have a 79 with VM carbs

The vacuum port is the one just right of center, on the #3 carb

You're plugging up the overflow for 1-2

Also, you've answered your own question. There is fuel to the fuel filter, but not to the carbs

Take off the fuel filter and see what happens

I'm just guessing, but I bet it's an automotive filter made for fuel injection

PS, you're wasting your money using premium - it's not "better". GSes are designed to run on 87 octane
                      Ok, I'll get rid of the filter. Yes, it's an aftermarket automotive filter.

Thanks for the info. re 87 octane, I guess I'm just trying to baby my "new" bike. Man, I will be happy when I can confidiantly ride this bike all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        Did you prime to fill the carbs after the carb cleaning?

No, I didn't prime the carbs. I wasn't sure how to do that. Any thoughts? I have the tank off as I know I will have to balance the carbs. I have a balancing kit, that will be the next adventure.

Comment

Dude, you prime your carbs by setting your petcock to the prime position.

Check the plugs and see if they're wet. If they are you're getting fuel.
                          Hows the intake system, IE airbox, o-rings and such?
                          Last edited by Octain; 07-02-2010, 06:02 PM. Reason: cause I wanted to
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                          .................________-|___\____
                          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                            Dude, you prime your carbs by setting your petcock to the prime possision.

Check the plugs and see if they're wet. If they are you're getting fuel.
                            Hows the intake system, IE airbox, o-rings and such?

Yeah, I know the "PRI" position will dump fuel directly into the carbs..right now I have the tank pulled and "field expedient" system (jug and hose) for fuel storage and delivery. Since there isn't a petcock, I would assume this would just the same as the fuel tank in "PRI." Am I wrong??

I haven't checked the plugs to see if they are wet, but I have opened the bowl drain scews and they are almost totally dry. This is why I think fuel isn't even getting to the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Palerider957 View Post
                              Yeah, I know the "PRI" position will dump fuel directly into the carbs..right now I have the tank pulled and "field expedient" system (jug and hose) for fuel storage and delivery. Since there isn't a petcock, I would assume this would just the same as the fuel tank in "PRI." Am I wrong??
                              No, you're correct. My bad, I kinda missed the no tank thing.

Did you "completely" dissassemble the carbs?
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                              X