Carb boots clamps question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb boots clamps question

Is there a trick to these clamps that hold the carbs to the engine? I have regular hose clamps holding the carbs and it seems that no matter how much I tighten them I'm still getting an air leak. The bike has pod filters and every time i stop at a light it revs high until I reach for the carbs and lift them up a bit. Do I need special clamps? How tight is tight? I'm afraid that if I tighten them too much I'll cut into the rubber boots.

Thanks as always,

Raz

I would suggest the "T" style stainless clamps, if you are running pods. Are you sure it isn't the o-rings between the rubber boots and the head?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      I would suggest the "T" style stainless clamps, if you are running pods. Are you sure it isn't the o-rings between the rubber boots and the head?
      The boots as well as the o-rings are brand new. I'll see if I can find these 'T' clamps around here. The most frustrating part about restoring this bike has been locating these kind of hardware pieces up here locally!! The only kind of clamps I've been able to find have been the regular hose clamps.

Comment

I've been down this road...and the best thing is the stock Suzuki clamps...
        They don't cost much and are well worth it....
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
          I've been down this road...and the best thing is the stock Suzuki clamps...
          They don't cost much and are well worth it....
          ...but they are soooooo slow!!! I've had to order a few things from the dealer and they hardly stock anything. Both Suzuki dealers around me have motorcycles as a sideline so they have to order everything. It takes at least 2 weeks to get anything. Well, they usually say 2 weeks but it's more like 4.

Comment

Originally posted by razooki View Post
            ...but they are soooooo slow!!! I've had to order a few things from the dealer and they hardly stock anything. Both Suzuki dealers around me have motorcycles as a sideline so they have to order everything. It takes at least 2 weeks to get anything. Well, they usually say 2 weeks but it's more like 4.
            I hear ya...I can usually get parts in a couple weeks, but I'm in the states...
            Still, sometimes the right parts are worth the wait...
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I ordered new boots and clamps for Z1. I ordered the ones for the Kz1000/900 28mm since I read on this board that they will work and I also got confirmation from Z1 that they will work on my GS850 with VM29 carbs. However it seems to me that the distance between bolt holes is too small. I read that a dremel tool will fix that but I'm not so sure. The Kawi boots are about 10mm too small and I think that if I use the Dremel I will actually distroy the hole for the bolt. These are the ones I ordered.
              Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I'll contact Z1 as well tomorrow but I am indeed puzzled and frustrated. Good riding weather is wasting.

Comment

I ordered a few things from suzuki so far including the boot o-rings, they've called me up in 2 days or less for everything. Helps to know the guy too i guess

Comment

Working...
                X