No announcement yet.

Seriously...WHAT IS THE DEAL....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so i've been watching this thread for the last day waiting for somebody to step up and say; "hey, it's simple, all you have to do is....."

That didn't happen so it looks like it's time to adjust the valves. I don't remember where i found the tutorial. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Side note....I really appreciate all the people on this site. EVERY time i log on, i get a shot of confidence. thanks guys.

rob

Comment

Everything you will ever need to know is here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

@tkent....thanks dude. that is exactly what i was looking for.

I do have one more question. Yesterday when i was messing with the bike it was suggested that I should check for spark and determine whether whether the plugs were wet or dry. I'm assuming that the plugs should be slightly wet in order for the spark to ignite the gasoline......right? One of my plugs is always dry. Today I went back through all the suggestions on this thread including checking for spark....I got nothing. Yesterday, i had spark. when i did a quick search on youtube, the spark i was seeing was very strong and blue. Yesterday, mine where very weak and seemed to dance around the plug. Today, i checked them again, and i don't have spark at all.

So, I'm thinking that I want to replace the coils (sense i've replaced everything else). Where is the best place to buy a new set of coils? also, if new is not required, do all gs models use the same coil (ie, can i pick up a used gsXXX on ebay and be confident it won't ruin anything)

Comment

Originally posted by bighamms View Post
          @tkent....thanks dude. that is exactly what i was looking for.

I do have one more question. Yesterday when i was messing with the bike it was suggested that I should check for spark and determine whether whether the plugs were wet or dry. I'm assuming that the plugs should be slightly wet in order for the spark to ignite the gasoline......right? One of my plugs is always dry. Today I went back through all the suggestions on this thread including checking for spark....I got nothing. Yesterday, i had spark. when i did a quick search on youtube, the spark i was seeing was very strong and blue. Yesterday, mine where very weak and seemed to dance around the plug. Today, i checked them again, and i don't have spark at all.

So, I'm thinking that I want to replace the coils (sense i've replaced everything else). Where is the best place to buy a new set of coils? also, if new is not required, do all gs models use the same coil (ie, can i pick up a used gsXXX on ebay and be confident it won't ruin anything)
          You can use coils from later model Suzukis; GSXR, Bandit, or Katana. If they look the same as the stockers they will work. You might do a search for the coil relay mod and try that first. At least make sure you're getting 12 volts to the coils. The orange/white wires to the coils are positive and always hot. A ground signal is what fires the coils. That makes it easy to check your voltage at the coils.

Comment

Ok, New development

I decided to check for spark one last time. This time I took out the right plug, grounded on engine and turned it over. At first, i had no spark, then I let it crank for for about 10 seconds and started getting spark. It looked weak to me, but there was spark. SOOOO, i put it back in the bike and tried the Left plug also letting it turn for 5-7 seconds.....and low and behold, it fired up. the bike just started and ran as long as i kept pressing the start button. So i let it die, then tried it again, and got the same result, but this time I gas it, and it responded well.

so, what would make the bike run with one plug out???? Help...

Comment

It sounds like one side is not firing. With the spark plug out it is easier for the cylinder that is firing to carry the non running side. Sounds like poor coil or spark plug or something that is causing an erratic spark. (plug wires etc.

Mike

Comment

At the start of this thread you said you checked for spark and were getting plenty. If that's no longer the case and nothing else has changed then you may have either flattened the battery or else (and most likely) fouled the plugs.

Make sure they're completely dry and you can see clear metal on the electrodes (not black like mine like to be) and try again with fully charged battery.

However if the spark was always weak then you may also have other electrical issues as suggested and should troubleshoot with a volt meter.
                1979 GS750E

Comment

I just found a problem with my coils where U had to hold the starter as well. Number 2&3 coil was fried. Try testing them with this info;

Set voltmeter to 20000 ohms. Check through two control leads. Should have about 4.5-5 ohms resistance. Through plug 1 & 4, and 2&3 plug end caps, about 23000.

Comment

@big Mike and nuts&bolts and coady...yeah, it seems weird that the bike would want to fire up with one plug out. I did mention in earlier posts that i had spark. But when searching "how to check spark" on youtube, the videos i'm finding lead me to believe that my spark is extremely weak. I can't see it unless i'm in a shaded area. on the YT vids, guys are getting strong thick blue spark. Mine looks more like that electric ball they sell at sharper image. the one that makes your hair stand up when you touch it.

Next step...I think I'm going to replace the coils and plug wires for good measure. The plugs are new. I checked them on my power washer and get a pretty strong spark

I was able to get the bike to run last night for more than 6 seconds. I had submitted a post asking about jet settings. Anticipating that I may have to adjust the settings, I took the carb back off. I backed the air jet (on the intake side) out a full turn on both carbs. Several guys replied to my post and told me not to adjust the mains & pilots so I put the carbs back on. Decided to call it a night and put the bike back together. Hit the starter one last time and the bike turned over 2-3 times then fired up. I gave it gas, it responded. Was so excited I hoped on it and road it around the hood a time or two. I made sure to keep it gassed because it sounded like it wanted to die if i let the throttle go. It was really sluggish, but that's my fault. Realized after the fact that I forgot to hook up the throttle cable....YEAH, ROOKIE MISTAKE. As i was pulling back onto my street, it died (i wanted to see if it would idle on it's own.).

Comment

Realized after the fact that I forgot to hook up the throttle cable....YEAH, ROOKIE MISTAKE
                      Question, if the cable was not hooked up, how did you ride it around? Perhaps I am missing some thing here..

Comment

The air jets on the back of the carbs do not adjust in and out, they screw all the way in.

Comment

Did the bike have an airbox where the filter goes? Are you trying to get it to run with no airbox in place now?

Comment

Sorry, for some reason, I wasn't notified that I had replies to my thread

@zaipai... the throttle cable was partially hooked up. it was loosely attached to the carb, but not inside the guide. So throttling it amounted to it only getting millimeters of cable pull. Hope that makes sense, I'm sure my terminology is all wrong

@don-lo... thank you sir. I have since screwed them back in

@ Madjack...Nope, I'm definitely using the airbox. I have read enough of these posts to know that these bikes are extremely finicky. So I'm hoping to get it running well before I starting trying to modify it.

UPDATE...bike is still not starting, but I'm pretty convinced that the problem is coil related. I'm getting plenty of fuel flow. My airbox has been sealed. I have tested my coils and am not getting spark on either plug. Have installed the plugs on both my power washer and mower and the plugs are definitely getting spark. I have ordered a replacement set of coils and am just anxiously awaiting their arrival.

I'll update the thread after I install the new coils.

Comment

Working...
                            X