Two bikes, two different problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two bikes, two different problems

I finally finished doing the complete cleaning and replacement of o-rings on my carbs and intake boots on my 1978 Suzuki GS750.

Before reworking the carbs it would not start easily, it took a ton of work and spray to get it going. Now, it starts right up first kick. Woohoo!

The bad news is that it won't idle right, or return to idle. I start it up, and it will sit around 1200 RPM, sometimes higher. I have the idle adjustment knob all the way out, so it's doing nothing.

When I open the throttle a bit and then close it the engine continues to run at about 3000 RPM. If I reach my hand in and push down on the throttle pulley it slowly goes down a little bit, but not back to a healthy idle.

My theories are that I need to tune the carbs using the two pilot air and jet screws, re-synch the carbs, or something. Also maybe the spring on the throttle pulley is too weak, although this isn't the entire problem because even with the pulley all the way down it doesn't return to a normal idle.

What are your tips?

TIA.

Second bike! Honda VF 750 S V45 Sabre 1982 or 1983 don't remember (it's a friend's bike).

The bike starts right up and idles great. It runs really well until it's warm. When I hear a fan kick in it starts to stall when idling at stop signs. As long as I keep the RPM up it stays going, but if I allow it to idle after running for a bit it will stall. It starts right back up, but will repeat the problem at the next stoplight or stop sign.

Theories?

No slack on the throttle cable? Either that or blockages in the pilot jets, an air leak somwehere (vacuum hose fitted?) or your airscrews are too far out / fuels screws too far in. I assume it's fitted with a proper airbox.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Yes, a little bit of slack on the cable closer to the engine.

I really hope the pilot jets don't have any blockages, I went through it very thoroughly twice with dip and cleaned out the passages. Shouldn't be the problem. Which vacuum hose are you talking about?

And here's a newb question. Right to left or left to right, how are the carbs numbered? There are three things that look as though they could be vacuum ports. One is connected to the petcock (and the petcock is working, so I figured I got this part right), the other two are?

There are two screws, which one is air, which one is fuel?

Oh, and no, it has 4 pod filters from the PO.

Comment

Carbs are numbered from left to right as you sit on the bike (1 is outermost left, 4 is outermost right).

I'm blowed if I can remember which carb has what hose on it but you have the main fuel line attached to a tee between 2 and 3, two breather hoses which sit airbox side of the carb slides and a vacuum hose that sits on one either 2 or 3 and sits head side of the slides. If you're missing that hose and the nipples isn't blocked off there's your massive airleak that will give you your problems.

That's assuming the PO jetted correctly for the pods.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Ok, I have the vacuum hose from the petcock to carb three, and the petcock is working fine, supplying fuel so that seems right to me. The other two are blocked off.

I have absolutely no idea when the pods were turned on, one of the POs put them on, so I don't know if it's jetted right.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahalaleel View Post
            Ok, I have the vacuum hose from the petcock to carb three, and the petcock is working fine, supplying fuel so that seems right to me. The other two are blocked off.

I have absolutely no idea when the pods were turned on, one of the POs put them on, so I don't know if it's jetted right.

Well that is the first place to start. What jets are in the carbs, currently?
            It is showing ALL the signs of running lean on the pilot circuit.

Jet size is first. It needs to be correct before we continue. Sounds like a Stage 1 or 2 would be in order, for starters.

Next, IIRC...the 750 is a 16V engine and has NO intake rubber o-rings, so that rules THAT out.

How are the intake rubbers?

Stock exhaust?

Comment

This one is an 8v, and I already changed the o-rings on the intake boots. I don't think it's an intake leak. The boots are a little older, but don't seem too worn.

If I can do anything without changing the jets I would much prefer it, I'm trying to keep the budget as low as possible, however I'm willing to do 20 hours of work on it to save money.

Comment

If everything is tight (intake wise) you will have to do some serious plug chops to determine where things are lean. If on the pilots, you will have few options left, but to rejet. I have soldered jets closed and re drilled them to get the "burn" right however, that assumes YOU have the correct size drill bits and either a drill press OR a VERY steady hand. I used a drill press...

Comment

I had the exact same symptoms when my needles were a notch too lean. This also made the carbs really hard to sync. If you've eliminated intake leaks then it does sound like you need to check jetting.
                  1979 GS750E

Comment

Ok, from what you're saying I will try adjusting the fuel and air screws first hoping to avoid buying new jets.

Is there a guide to doing this properly some place? I actually don't even know which screw is air which one is fuel, so this will be my first time trying this.

I also read it's possible to adjust the huge needle's height. Would that have any effect?

Comment

Ok, from what you're saying I will try adjusting the fuel and air screws first hoping to avoid buying new jets.

Is there a guide to doing this properly some place? I actually don't even know which screw is air which one is fuel, so this will be my first time trying this.

I also read it's possible to adjust the huge needle's height. Would that have any effect?
                      Check your main jets FIRST. If they are not right, nothing else you do will get it even close, so don't bother to try any shortcuts.

The screw on the bottom is the pilot fuel screw. On a stock bike, it will be 5/8 to 3/4 turn out from lightly seated.
                      On a bike with pods and a pipe, it might be 3/4 to 1 full turn out from lightly seated.

As a rule, a good starting point for the pilot air screws (the ones on the sides) will be double of what the fuel screws are, then you will tweak from there.

Adjusting the height of the needle will affect the jetting in the mid-throttle range, from about 1/4 to almost 3/4 throttle. To raise the needle to richen the mixture (the usual thing), you will need to lower the clip one notch.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you sir!

How do I go about "checking" my main jet? What am I looking for?

Comment

As they stand all of the screws are all the way in. Could this be the problem?

Comment

As they stand all of the screws are all the way in. Could this be the problem?
                            Only if you want the bike to run.

If you are saying that the pilot fuel screws (on the bottom) and the pilot air screws (on the sides) are all turned in until they are bottomed out, the bike will simply have no fuel to run at idle speeds.

Look at my previous post (just three before this one) to see the approximate settings.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok!
                              Good news (kind of). I discovered that the problem is that the slides in the carb, or maybe the rod that runs through everything, or maybe even just the throttle pulley are getting stuck, and not returning to the minimum open space.

Is there some way to lubricate things without sucking lube into the combustion chambers?

Comment

Working...
                              X