GS650G range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650G range

I know it all depends on how you ride but i am trying to get a general range of this bike. I have been spoiled on my ninja with a fuel gage i do not have that luxury on this or my CB450 which i have yet to take on any distance ride. If anyone can give a general range with just riding...not major throttle twisting...just cruising.
    I am about to go about 165-180 miles as soon as i get the tags on it next Weds. anyone?.....

Does it not have a fuel gauge because it's an '81 or because it's a G?

The '82 650GL sitting on my back porch has a gauge.

The L models with the smaller tanks will go onto reserve at about 120 miles, not sure what the capacity is on your tank.

Ridden sanely, you should get 40+ mpg, so multiply that by the size of your tank, then allow for the one-gallon (or so) reserve.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

have no idea why it has no fuel gage but it does not...and it is a 81 GS650G. Was that an option? or did they start putting them on as standard in 82. I am new to this style of bike so please bare with me.

Comment

Every GS that I've seen has a fuel gauge.....can you take a picture of your tach/speedo and post it up ? You may have some kind of cobbled together instrument cluster.

To answer your question, I'd guess about +- 150 miles...full to empty..maybe a little more.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

No some don't have gauges, not sure about the 650G.

All should get 50+ mpg, except the liter bikes, even they should be high 40s if only cruising at moderate speeds.

Tank quantity, how far until reserve and after reserve until dry should be easy enough to figure out.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My bike is a 1981 GS650G(X), and no, they did not come with a fuel gauge as standard equipment.

I am quite sure they came standard 82 an up.

They do have a fairly large tank at 16L (4.2 G), so 150 miles should be no problem, but you will likely have to switch to reserve before the 150 mark since the reserve is a full gallon.

Comment

will take another look at the instrument cluster when i get back to the bike on thursday morning. I am sure it does not have one due to the fact the guy i bought it from said it did not have one but....will look again to be sure....and.....will photograph it. Now this is why i already like this forum...all this input from all of you folks....thanks again.
              Oh yeah and thanks McGuyver i was starting to think i was the only one without a fuel gage...lol.

Comment

The '81 650G apparently does NOT have a gauge:

The '81 650GL apparently DOES:

The '82 650G apparently also has a gauge:

Apparently, it is also one of the 'upgrades' for the '82 model year, but I guess that's another BONUS for the "L" riders.
                They got it a year earlier.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

they say a pic is worth a thousand words...:-) so thats 3 thou for you friend....thanks again.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2010, 06:53 PM. Reason: none

Comment

Yet another reason the L is SUPERIOR, Steve!

Comment

Because "L"adies don't know how to switch to reserve?
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                        Well, around here, we have two Gs and two GLs.

Except that on one of my bikes, the GL comes at the front.
                        (See the signature.)

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

On average, I've done 125 miles before switching to reserve. The BEST I've ever done was 140 miles before switching to reserve. How that happened, I dunno but it was nice. So thats roughly 39 mile per gal.

Comment

I seem to remember that Ryonker's '78 700L (750?) didn't have a fuel gauge either. My '80 850L came with a gauge also, but earlier than '82 the L tanks were only 3.2 gal, so full to empty, bone dry is about 120 miles on them (no reserve on the screwdriver operated petcock).

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post

I thought all GS's had fuel gauges, shows what I know......I learn something here everyday.
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X