Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Help

Hello all

I recently purchased a 1980 GS850g. The previous owner said it was running 2 years ago when he parked it and has since pulled the carbs. Before i put it back togeather i plan on at a minimum cleaning the carbs out. M question is sould i rebuild the carbs at the same time? what are the best rebuild kits to buy?

I also plan on cleaning the tank and changing all the fluids. Is there anything i should look at?

Yes, the complete bike should be attended to. the brake system, valve adjustment, carb overhaul ect...

most likely all you will need to overhaul your carbs, will be the BS series carb o-rings which available from cycleorings.com and His o-rings for the carb intake boots.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Mike63078,

The links below will have much of the information you need to help you transform your bike into a safe and reliable machine. Pay particular attention to the maintenance lists. There are vendors, links, procedures, a TON of information. Let's start school.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Don't waste your money and time on the shoddy, low-rent carb rebuild kits out there. None of them are worth the time it takes to throw them in the trash.

Just get a set of o-rings from Mr. Robert Barr at cycleorings.com and re-use your float bowl gaskets. If you like, order up some OEM float bowl gaskets.

Everything else should clean up fine.

If you find you need needles and seats, order OEM or find a source for genuine Mikuni parts. Again, the aftermarket stuff is just plain crap.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

hi, I cyl head is redone and it looks like the mixture is too rich... why it can be? Better sealing around the valves and it wants to run a leaner fuel? My problem is that I can't lower the needle, I can't reach the retaining clip in the carb's piston. Any ideas, please?

Comment

Originally posted by hzoltaan View Post
            hi, I cyl head is redone and it looks like the mixture is too rich... why it can be? Better sealing around the valves and it wants to run a leaner fuel? My problem is that I can't lower the needle, I can't reach the retaining clip in the carb's piston. Any ideas, please?
            Buy a longer pair of pliers.

Did you clean the carbs or are you just tweaking stuff to try to get them to run anyway?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No, no, I have cleaned it, and I keep it clean. I reguraly check it with colortune... Unfortunately my set of seeger clip pliers ar too big... One more question just to be sure. lowering the needle will make the mixture leaner throughout the whole range of the carbs, right? I do not need to change the main jet or something, right? I have stock airfilter and exhaust so only the cyl head changed.

Comment

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Any powersports dealer should have these in stock or be able to get them quickly.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

had the same issue and wasent about to spen 35 bucks for a pair, but knew it would make the job much more easy so i found this place, almost to the bottom look at the price. ordered them on friday.

Comment

solved it. I had a set of circlip pliers. (you know the type, 1 handle and a few different heads...) so I had one of the heads grinded a bit... the angle grinder is a clever tool. interestingly the needle was set to it's 4th groove (the factory pre-set is 3rd) so I lowerd it one back. Will test it today.
                    Thanks for the tool tips!

Comment

Working...
                    X