Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universal Petcock Leaking

I have a '78 GS1000E.

Last week, I bought a universal petcock from Z1 Enterprises. When I installed it on the gas tank, it was a touch off but the bolts caught and I was able to tighten it.

Along with other problems, I discovered this morning that I have a gas leak where the petcock sits on the bottom of the gas tank. I thought I tightened it completely but apparently that is not the case.

Is there some kind of adhesive or maybe a slightly bigger O ring that I can buy or make to seal it completely? Anyone else have a similar issue with an aftermarket petcock?

Without knowing exactly what petcock you have, this is impossible to answer.

But there are a few considerations -- maybe these thoughts will help.

When installing petcocks, I've been tripped up a time or two by an irregular mounting surface. Make sure that the o-ring or whatever they're using for a seal has a very flat and smooth surface on the tank, not wrinkled paint and rust.

The second thing to remember is that on many petcocks, you also need sealing washers on the mounting bolts. The Suzuki washers are metal washers with a rubber sealing ring inside, but I've used black nylon 1/4" washers from the hardware store many times with excellent results.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'm guessing that it is not completely flat to the bottom of the tank because it was a little tough to get the bolts in.

I went to the local auto parts store and picked up some Loctite Stik'N Seal Solvent Resistant adhesive.

It says to put a bead on both surfaces. Anyone try that yet?

I have no problem getting a couple of 1/4" black nylon washers in addition to using the Loctite so long as the gas quits leaking.

I'm glad I haven't finished painting the tank yet. Needs more now that the paint is running off.

Comment

Working...
      X