Carb Sync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Sync

Hey guys, I'm doing a carb sync on my 80 550, BS32SS carbs.

I am using vacuum gauges and unfortunately I only have 3 carb boot fittings, so I am only using 3 gauges...

As I understand it, cylinder 3 (the carb where the throttle cable goes on) is the cylinder that does not get adjusted, it is adjusted only by the idle adjustment screw, correct? If so, then I would connect my three gauges to cyl 1, cyl 2 and cyl 3, right? In the manual it states that cyl 2 and 3 should have slightly less vacuum than 1 and 4 for proper idle.

If this is the case, then I would base cyl 2 off of cyl 3, making them equal, correct? Then I would remove the gauge from cylinder 2 and put it on cyl 4 so that now I am reading cyl 1, cyl 3 and cyl 4, and then sync cyl 1 to cyl 4, those 2 having just slightly more vacuum than cylinder 3.

I know that all sounds confusing, but does it seem correct?

I am bleeding money right now as it is, so I don't have the extra cash to buy a Morgan or syncpro and the local shops want around 60 to 70 dollars to do it anyway. So I have to do this the old fashioned home made way. I would like to at least get them really close... Doesn't have to be perfect!

Well anyway, thanks for the help... Or not. I got the job done yesterday and I took the bike out on a nice 50mi cruise today and it accelerates smoother and pulls slightly harder, sounds way smoother and more like a rev-happy sport bike motor and idles better.

Comment

Working...
    X