Replacing carbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing carbs.

Whats the best way to assemble the air box, boot, individual carb boots on GS 650 GT 1983. Space is tight.

If its anything like a twin GS 400 setup there is about 1/2" clearance between the air box and the inlet of the carb before it inserts into the inlet manifold. I use a piece of 1" x 2" wood about 18" long with one end shaved to about 1/2" thick.

The air box must be loose ( no bolts locating it) and pushed all the way back to the rear of the bike

I silicon grease all the pieces before I start positioning the carbs

I assemble the completed carb assembly to the accelerator and choke cable

I line up both carbs with the inlet manifolds and shove the wooden stick shaved end between one side the carb air side and the air inlet boot and then I lever that carb onto the inlet manifold. I watch the other carb to try and keep it aligned.

Then I go to the other card and repeat the process.

To get the air box onto the carbs I jimmy the air box forward then use the same stick to lever off the frame to make the box connect on one carb then the other.

Comment

Whats the best way to assemble the air box, boot, individual carb boots on GS 650 GT 1983. Space is tight.
      Soft rubber boots and a lot of patience

Comment

If its like my Son's 81 650l I loosen the clamp from the air box to the boot box and push it back. Then remove the bracket that holds the choke cable loosen all the clamps holding the carbs to the boots. You should then be able to push down on the air box side of the carbs and they should come out of all the boots giving you room to slide the carbs out and allowing you to disconnect the choke and throttle cables. Don't forget to reconnect the choke and throttle cables before you put the carbs back in using some silicone spray on the boots. Good luck

Comment

As I just relearned on my 'new' GS750,they are a PITA to do.Not looking forward to doing it this winter when it all gets taken apart for a major makeover.

Comment

loosen all the clamps ALL THE WAY and slide the rings far back off the ring seat of each one, move any wires out of the way, then you loosen the clamps on the the engine all the way and then slide then rings far back too, then you move everything out the way, hoses, wires anything and tape them if you have to keep em out of the way, then you put the carbs into place behind the engine line it up and PUSH EM ON hard making sure everything is lining up. then tighten each clamp good, then you do do the same with the airbox, place em behind the carbs, line it all up and then PUSH em on the carbs, the key is the have the rings completely far back off the grooves and out of the way completely, then once the boots are in place you slide the clamps back into place onto the grooves then tighten em up... its not that hard if you do exactly what i said
            Originally posted by tkent02
            That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
            John 3:16

Comment

Working...
            X