Exhaust header temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust header temperature

What is the normal operating temperature of headers? I'm just curious because I was looking for paint to paint mine and I saw that the VHT Header Paint claims it's good to 1000 degrees Celcius while the caliper paint is good to 490 degrees Celcius. I just don't like the fact that the header paint only comes in matte black. I'm no expert but I would think that 490 degrees Celsius would be plenty for headers.

header temp.

Here's a basic rule of thumb for painting headers: If you've managed to turn your headers blue without some sort of intake/exhaust leak or steady idling for long periods of time you need header paint. If you're headers are still nice and silver you're not generating enough heat to cook good caliper paint. My local hardware store stocks barbeque grill paint that works great for headers of any type in black, red, silver and green. It takes a few coats, but it works. Hope this is helpful.

Comment

I tried the BBQ paint as well but again it's matte. I would like something in a spray can that is satin black and I like the way my calipers came out when I used the VHT paint.

Comment

Originally posted by razooki View Post
        I just don't like the fact that the header paint only comes in matte black.
        Have a look below for other VHT colors

Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Working...
        X