Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to maintain steady speed.(Surging)

Hello all,
    I have a 80 GS850GL that most times is tough to maintain a steady speed between say 45 to 65 mph. I guess you would say surging. It is worse when cold of course. At cruising speed, you can open up the throttle wide and it will scream with just a split second hesitation. It idles fine at 1200 rpm. Starts with no problems. All 4 exhaust pipes are the same temp.
    Carbs have been dipped and cleaned, o-rings,boots,airbox sealed,filter sealed, new plugs, etc per all the great help from all of you.

Hi,

My first thought would be to shim the needles or get a Stage 1 jet kit. Let's see what the real 850 carb experts say.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Just a side note, all parts are stock original. No mods on carbs, airbox exhaust has been made.

Comment

The fact that it is worse when cold tells you it is too lean at the throttle setting where you are surging. Shimming the needle a bit higher may fix the symptom, but it would be better to find the reason why it is lean. Float levels correct? How about fuel levels? All jets the original size? Are you certain there are no air leaks? Snorkel in place? The 850s have a reputation of being very critical about any airbox problems.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No air leaks. Jets original. There is no snorkel on the air box. I read a post that said it is not a necessary piece. Maybe it is?

Comment

I would think it would make a very slight difference in airflow, maybe exactly what it takes to cause the lean surging.

As in the earlier post, 850s are very sensitive to intake restrictions.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Paper or oiled filter?

Comment

Stock suzuki oiled filter.

Comment

Working...
                X