GS 650 pet cock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 650 pet cock

Open up the pet cock of the bike. The spring washer at end of barrel was mangled. Re assembled and now the prime position is not working. It allows fuel through only when subject to vacuum from manifold.
    This is not the same pet cock that is show, exploded, on this site. It has aprox 2 inch plug with drilling, an O ring sealer on outer side.
    Any ideas how to get my prime back. I'm also afraid the reserve may be faulty.

Sure...buy a new one.

Rebuilding one is hit and miss. Some report great results, others...not so much.
    With flammable liquids that close to a very sensitive area....I'd be safe and get a new one.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Larry is correct,

This is courtesy Bass Cliffs website. Listen to Unca Brian step # 13

Brian's E-Z and fun plan for GS850 happiness:

13) Install new petcock, since I'm going to head to the roof with a rifle if I have to read about yet another #2 plug fouling and failed hillbilly attempts to rebuild the petcock and/or deny there's a problem.
      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
      AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

petcock

Agree on replacement when required. This cock is not leaking and only delivers fuel when a vacuum is applied. So number 2 plug is safe. Main dealer only as last resort.

Comment

Check you oil level daily. It happens when you won't expect it...like at night OR on a ride...

What is the bike worth to you?

Comment

pet cock

Thanks for the advice. However I'm still looking for advice on repairing my tap. Something simple wrong with it. In my opinion Suzuki Corp have enough money without giving them my hard earned cash.

Comment

Hi,

If you insist, just order a rebuild kit and give it a shot. Make sure the mating surfaces are completely smooth, even, and level when you reassemble. Please let us know how you fare.

For example: http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1507

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

pet cock

Thanks again for the replies. My pet cock is NOT like the one shown exploded on BassCliff's site. Has anyone come across this one. It has a barrel and a plug with drillings. There is a spring washer at the end of the barrel, which is mangled. This appears to put the barrel under tension when turning. It has 3 settings pri, res, on. However when I stripped it down and cleaned it out on rebuild there is no prime function. The prime works under vacuum, and cock is working perfect in on position and is not leaking either through to manifold or to carb. Unusual one but these things are sent to try us.

Comment

It's probably an aftermarket replacement

You could get a real GS petcock on eBay for about $10 and test and rebuild it, or spring for a new one from BikeBandit, Mike's XS, or Old Bike Barn for the safe, sure option.

Comment

petcock

Originally posted by stony View Post
                    Thanks again for the replies. My pet cock is NOT like the one shown exploded on BassCliff's site. Has anyone come across this one. It has a barrel and a plug with drillings. There is a spring washer at the end of the barrel, which is mangled. This appears to put the barrel under tension when turning. It has 3 settings pri, res, on. However when I stripped it down and cleaned it out on rebuild there is no prime function. The prime works under vacuum, and cock is working perfect in on position and is not leaking either through to manifold or to carb. Unusual one but these things are sent to try us.
                    I think I have the same one and I also think I have uploaded a picture. This is new ground so lets see if it works
                    alex

Comment

pet cock

Hi Alex.
                      Upload worked ok. Thats the same one I have. The spring clip on mine is mangled. Do you have any experience with this type? PRIME only works when vacuum applied. ON is ok and res is ok. Haven't tested the actual reserve yet.

Comment

Originally posted by stony View Post
                        Hi Alex.
                        Upload worked ok. Thats the same one I have. The spring clip on mine is mangled. Do you have any experience with this type? PRIME only works when vacuum applied. ON is ok and res is ok. Haven't tested the actual reserve yet.
                        I managed to get mine to work. A bit of trial and error. Unfortunately I never took a photo and when I finally got it to work i was loathe to take it apart. I will try and describe what I did later; no time right now.

Comment

petcock

Originally posted by atrent View Post
                          I managed to get mine to work. A bit of trial and error. Unfortunately I never took a photo and when I finally got it to work i was loathe to take it apart. I will try and describe what I did later; no time right now.
                          I will try to explain what I did to get this petcock working. I have drawn arrows on the pertinent points. There is a small section that sticks out on the inside as shown by the arrow. The spring, washer whatever has two parts that are bent at 90 degrees to the main part. In the bore of the main body of the valve you will see a recess at about 3 o clock. The part marked by the arrow on the left fits in this hole, recess whatever. The other arrow marked part fits in the hollow on the end of the small cylinder that has the small O ring and is the actual valve seal. The spring must be bent in such a manner that as the valve is rotated to prime the arrow marked part of the taper plug pushes on the spring forcing the valve open. You have to bend the part so that the valve opens at the proper location. You have to make a sort of ramp of the spring and by trial and error arrive at the correct shape. Clear as mud I am sure.
                          If you have some questions feel free to ask.
                          alex

Comment

Working...
                          X