petcock issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock issues

Ok I need help with my petcock. I have a 85 gs450. Talked to a dealer about my carb leaking and the petcock never shut off, so they said the petcock is bad. I talked to my boss and brought him the petcock and he said rebuild it and when I put it back together that the vacuum for the carb but where dose the vacuum line gose. When I got the. Bike there was no rubber boots to the carb from the air box. If anyone has a diagram that would help out a lot thanks

Downlaod the Service Manual from here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

That should have the info you will need. Best of luck.

Comment

petcock

surely someone has a diagram or picture of the break down for these vacuum operated petcocks. My problem is that it won't allow fuel flow on prime. and no there is no blockage in the stand pipes. I have this device dismantled and it looks like there should be some sort of part to manually open the vacuum operated valve when prime is selected.
      alex

Comment

Originally posted by speed_demon_customs View Post
        Ok I need help with my petcock. I have a 85 gs450. Talked to a dealer about my carb leaking and the petcock never shut off, so they said the petcock is bad. I talked to my boss and brought him the petcock and he said rebuild it and when I put it back together that the vacuum for the carb but where dose the vacuum line gose. When I got the. Bike there was no rubber boots to the carb from the air box. If anyone has a diagram that would help out a lot thanks
        I'm not to familiar with 450's, but, there may be something on Cliff's site to help you.

You can also use the search feature and see what you can find.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by atrent View Post
          surely someone has a diagram or picture of the break down for these vacuum operated petcocks. My problem is that it won't allow fuel flow on prime. and no there is no blockage in the stand pipes. I have this device dismantled and it looks like there should be some sort of part to manually open the vacuum operated valve when prime is selected.
          alex
          Don't call me Shirley.....

See the post above.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

There is a stainless steel or chromed spring inside a plastic cone that presses acts on a tiny metal tube that has an o-ring.

This pushes the tube out from the outer side of the petcock.
            The vacuum line attaches on the inside and it draws on a diaphragm that pulls on the o-ringed tube.

Comment

petcock

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
              Don't call me Shirley.....

See the post above.
              All very good but my petcock is considerably different. If I new how I could post a picture
              alex

Comment

All very good but my petcock is considerably different. If I new how I could post a picture
                alex
                Hi,

How to post a picture is on my website too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

alex

What I find particularly irking is the demanding tone of some posters

Comment

It comes from seeing the same questions over & over again. Some are more patient than others but it sure would be helpful to post pics first and ask questions later.

2 cents
                    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Hi,

You'll find this on my website. Probably not your exact petcock but it might be helpful.

Petcock Rebuild
                      (by Mr. Matchless)

Might I suggest that you take some pictures as you work on your petcock so that you can help others?

BassCliff

Comment

Is this one guy posting under 2 names?

I had a problem with mine flooding number 2 cylinder when I first bought my bike. Bought a new one $15 I think and was done with it. Not worth the aggravation in my humble opinion.

Comment

I had the same problem on my 850L- no joy on the "prime" setting at all, but good fuel flow when vacuum was applied to the normal vac port. Nothing apparent was wrong with the petcock, so I took the spring out, put a slightly larger one on the other side of the diaphragm to hold it open all the time, and put a small Briggs and Stratton inline gas valve in the line. No reserve feature, but I just pay attention, and no more wondering when the petcock is going to crap out permanently.

Comment

no its not one guys under two name some one just jumped on my post. what i am really looking for are pics of how the vacuum hose is from the petcock to the carbs. when i bought the bike there was no tube from the air box to the carbs i need to know where this vacuum hose gose and how its hooked up just going to buy a new petcock, but whats the point if i have no clue how the vacuum line is hooked up thanks for the help

Comment

Hi,

As far as I know, there is no tube from the airbox to the carbs (unless you're talking about the intake boots). The airbox should have a breather hose connected to the breather port on the top of the valve cover. The vacuum port on the petcock should connect to the vacuum port on one of the carbs. I think the vacuum port is on the #2 carb on your bike. The manual that you downloaded from my website should have more accurate information.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X