Frustrating jetting help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrating jetting help please

As you can see in my sig the bike I have. The bike hesitates under full throttle between 5-7k rpm (rich) if I raise the needle clip (leaner) so that it accepts full throttle, the part throttle is barely rideable. With the needle second from the bottom, the part throttle is best, but it stumbles under full throttle at 5-7k rpm. So, I have tried every notch on the needle and several different mains. With a 130 mikuni main, the full throttle 5-7 rpm is better, but my plugs started looking too white, I went back to 132.5's and now the 5-7 stumble is there again.
    I am not sure but I think I first noticed this stumble when I installed the web cams. That is the really the only change from just pods and 4-1.
    Any ideas? Can I try drilling out the slide lift hole bigger maybe?

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
    As you can see in my sig the bike I have. The bike hesitates under full throttle between 5-7k rpm (rich) if I raise the needle clip (leaner) so that it accepts full throttle, the part throttle is barely rideable. With the needle second from the bottom, the part throttle is best, but it stumbles under full throttle at 5-7k rpm. So, I have tried every notch on the needle and several different mains. With a 130 mikuni main, the full throttle 5-7 rpm is better, but my plugs started looking too white, I went back to 132.5's and now the 5-7 stumble is there again.
    I am not sure but I think I first noticed this stumble when I installed the web cams. That is the really the only change from just pods and 4-1.
    Any ideas? Can I try drilling out the slide lift hole bigger maybe?
    with the dyna kit you should drill the slides. first thing is to get it to pull to redline even if it bobbles at 4K. Only then do needle adjustments. With stock 1100, 36mm CV and web cams (0.340) I was running 137.5 Dynojets so with 130-132 Mikuni you should be close; probably a bit rich. Got anything smaller than 130 Mikuni that is like 140 DJ (add 10)

If you go to the factory pro side they are emphatic about doing mains first.

Seems I ended up 3 - 3.5 notches from the bottom.
    Last edited by posplayr; 07-16-2010, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      with the dyna kit you should drill the slides. first thing is to get it to pull to redline even if it bobbles at 4K. Only then do needle adjustments. With stock 1100, 36mm CV and web cams (0.340) I was running 137.5 Dynojets so with 130-132 Mikuni you should be close; probably a bit rich. Got anything smaller than 130 Mikuni that is like 140 DJ (add 10)

If you go to the factory pro side they are emphatic about doing mains first.

Seems I ended up 3 - 3.5 notches from the bottom.
      Oh ya it revs out nice once it goes past 7k rpm, so the main is real close, like I said the 130's were a bit small, so I went to the 132.5's
      Originally I had drilled the slides out with the drill bit for the 750 kit I had, I thought the 1100 drill bit would be bigger, but the 1100 drill is smaller. So I JB welded the hole and drilled it to the 1100 size #32, the 750 bit size is #30. I am wondering if I should use the #30 bit and see? I have the carbs apart on my table right now, just trying to decide what can I do to try to fix this. I am going to check float height and some other things

Comment

I found that the floats were not set right a few mm too high fuel level, so I reset them and went for a ride, it revved smoother and felt stronger, but the stumble is still there. I might try leaning out the needle a notch and seeing how much part throttle/low speed I lose.
        My 1170 kit is on the way, so I wonder what difference that will make to the stumble. What main jet should I try first with the 1170?

Comment

With the 1166 kit you will be closer to 140 mains.
          with the main dialed in you should be 3-4 notches up from the bottom.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            With the 1166 kit you will be closer to 140 mains.
            with the main dialed in you should be 3-4 notches up from the bottom.
            maybe 145's

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              maybe 145's
              stock head?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

stock head?
                I believe the head has had some porting with stock valves.
                I lowered my needle a notch tonight, and the low speed stumble is still there, I am going to go from three to 4 turns out on the mixture screw tomorrow, if that doesnt work I guess I have to try #50 pilots

Comment

50 were too big for my 1230 and oversized valves.

Comment

50 were too big for my 1230 and oversized valves.
                    I dont know, I am quite sure I have 47.5's in there now, but I am going to check. Could have mixed up the 42.5's with the 47.5's Or maybe my pilot circuit has a blockage. I am at 3 turns out on the screw.

Comment

The pilots are indeed 47.5's, I checked the pilot air jets and they are 160's and the stock size is supposed to be a 170. What difference would that make, and how would those compare to the 160's I got with my DJ kit?

Comment

at a high speed hesitation not much.
                        where did you get these carbs? are you sure they are from a sixteen valve 1100?

Comment

I was talking about the low speed hesitation there, which is back now that the needle is leaned out enough for it to rev full throttle 5-7k rpm.
                          The id number on the carbs say they are off of an '82 1100EZ. I put in the DJ pilot air jets whcih are a bit smaller than the mikuni ones that were on it, and set the screw at 4 turns, going for a test run now.

Comment

Runs like a bag of sh!t until you rev it out, so I reset the screws to 2 turns.
                            ARRRRGH I hate jetting

Comment

are you positive on your cam timing?

Comment

Working...
                              X