its all back together now she wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its all back together now she wont start

so as some of you might know i had recently done full cleaning of the carbs on my bike including dipping them...afterward the bike ran great..i then had to have some head work done so the bike had to come apart again...well the bike sat for about a month and a half waitin for parts and time to work on it...well i got it all back together last night and shes not getting fuel...great spark...but the plugs are not wet at all...also there is a pool of as underneath the carbs sitting on the cases but i couldnt see where it was coming from...what should i bee looking fo first?

Did you do anything to the carbs while the head was dis-assembled?

Comment

i did not but i found the problem...the plungers are all seized up...so i pulled them...they arnt smooth at all so im taking some superfine steel whool to the plungers and the sleeves...hope it helps

Comment

well it looks like that wasnt it either...i just dont know anymore with this thing...am i really gonna have to completly disassemble these carbs again right after completly cleaning them less than 2 months ago?

Comment

did you check the needle valves? maybe you put them in backwards? did you check that the vaccum on the petcocks work? Did you prime the engine before trying to start it?

Comment

needle valves are in correctly...bike ran fine after rebuild and nothing has changed since then...yes i primed the engine...and yes the petcock is fine on the gas tank it is brand new and and the carbs have a vaccume...should i be chacking stuck float valves?

Comment

UPDATE...i noticed after cranking the engine for a while then letting it sit it will try and start then quickly die...the longer you let it sit the more it starts to turn over but either way still dies very quickly

Comment

can you set the petcock to prime and remove a floatbowl drain?

if the plugs are not getting wet then you are not getting fuel.

if the fuel flows then we at least know the gas is available at the carbs.

Is the Airbox connected?

Comment

yes the airbox is connected...i will go do that now...be right back

Comment

ok i pulled the plug on one of the carbs and the fuel came pourin out so the fuel is gettin in
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2010, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Well that is good then.
                      You say it tries to start but dies. Have you altered the idle adjustment and does your choke engagr properly?

A few drops of fuel in the jugs as a primer may help the carbs draw fuel properly.

if this has CVcarbs do not touch the throttle
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2010, 01:12 AM.

Comment

It tries to start and dies only after cracking on it for a while and letting it sit for a while. Idle adjustment it set properly and choke is engaged

Comment

That almost sounds like a marginally charged battery.

Comment

ok...well squirtin some fuel in the cylanders did the trick eccept for one thing...the bike is only running on 2 cylanders...3 and 4....i pulled the plug on cylander 1 and am getting good spark and the plug is wet....what could possably be the issies here...timing?...one thing you should not is me and Steve did a valve adjustment right before having to take abart the motor...is it possable after reassembling the motor the tolerances are all way outta wack?...some insight would be great

Comment

1 and 4 is on one coil and 2 and 3 are on the other or at least that seems to be the norm

check the manual to be sure

Do you mean its running if so can you check all the plugs, If they are not sparking then the plugs should be wet.

Comment

Working...
                              X