Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple questions...

Long story short:

Bought a beat up, ratty looking 1982 GS750T that hadn't run in 2 years for dirt cheap. Put in clean fuel, oil, oil filter, spark plugs and battery, won't start (not surprised). I had spark and a fuel leak after the petcock and before the carbs so I'm getting fuel to the carbs, just not through them. Rebuild time.

So to my questions. I ordered rebuild kits for all the carbs and am in the process of taking them apart when I start to think they may have been jetted. The bike had pod filters when I bought it and its got a 4-1 Vance & Hines pipe with the baffles taken out. Would this thought make sense? If it is reasonable, would I be able to tell if they've been jetted just by looking at the parts as I take them out? I compared the pieces to those in the kits but I'm not sure if its actually noticeable?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ZoSo750,

If the previous owner did not jet for pods and pipes then you may be in for trouble. Lean conditions can melt your engine. Rebuild kits are pretty much junk except for the float bowl gasket. And even then, those may be questionable. Order real Mikuni jets, or if you have a Dynojet kit installed, just clean up what you have, install new O-rinigs from http://cycleorings.com, and reassemble. You also may need a new petcock and charging system repair. It's all in your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the input. So lets say I decide to go with real Mikuni jets, do I go with a bigger size and "build" my own jet kit persay? What all would I need? (Sizes, jets, misc other parts, etc.)

I'm sure it would be cheaper than going with a Dynojet Stage I kit, but would said kit be enough to keep me from running too lean? I'm trying to keep the bike on somewhat of a budget for now until I get it running, but at the same time I don't want to put the "unreliable" rebuild kits I bought in them if I can just do something better and inexpensive right off the bat.

Comment

Hi,

Hopefully there are numbers on the jets. The numbers will tell you whether they are stock Mikuni jets or Dynojet parts. Mikuni and DJ do not use the same criteria when sizing their jets.

As a starting point, I've often seen it recommended that, with pipes and pods, you go up one size on the pilot, 4 sizes on the mains, and shim the needle. If you have a DJ kit currently installed, the needle will have notches in it for the midrange adjustment. If not, you'll have to use the "Radio Shack washer" trick to raise the needle. Plug chops will help you dial it in for each carb circuit.

It's well-documented in the forum, try a search. There's a little more information on my website too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X