Carbs still dumping gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs still dumping gas

My bike was dumping gas all over the place after ~30 seconds of running. Purchased o-rings, and $200 worth of other parts only to have it keep dumping gas. Kind of ****ed right now given how much I spent on a couple of rubber boots, floats, rings, etc and it's still doing the exact same thing. So what's next? I don't feel like taking it to a shop only to have them bend me over.

If anyone in the central Ohio area wants beer & pizza I'll supply if you're able to help and know more than I do.

So....what exactly have you done so far ?

Have the carbs been dipped and rebuilt with new o-rings ? Is the petcock original or new ?
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
      So....what exactly have you done so far ?

Have the carbs been dipped and rebuilt with new o-rings ? Is the petcock original or new ?
      Here's his original startup problem thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=156980

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
        Here's his original startup problem thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=156980
        Thanks Dan, I actually read that earlier. According to that thread, all I can see is he replaced the battery.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Petcock is original. ASK didn't give me an itemized receipt, but I replaced the rubber gaskets going from the carbs to the engine & to the airbox, the jets, the o-rings, some gaskets, and some other misc. things.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
            Thanks Dan, I actually read that earlier. According to that thread, all I can see is he replaced the battery.
            OOPS! I linked to the wrong thread. He posted in another thread about the gas overflow......

Comment

Originally posted by GahannaKid View Post
              Petcock is original. ASK didn't give me an itemized receipt, but I replaced the rubber gaskets going from the carbs to the engine & to the airbox, the jets, the o-rings, some gaskets, and some other misc. things.
              When you say you replaced the o-rings, are you talking about just the intake boot o-rings or are you talking about the full carb rebuild where you pulled out the float, float valve, valve seat and all for a dip/cleaning? It still sounds to me like your float valve isn't seating right (either due to float not working right or the valve sticking open.

Comment

....or the petcock is shot.

That's my guess.

If you've had overflowing fuel, take a smell inside the oil fill cap. If it smells like fuel (it probably will) don't run the engine until the fuel overflow problem has been fixed and the oil and filter changed. Gas in the engine oil is not a good thing.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Dunno what all's been done, but the bottom is that not only does the petcock need to properly shut off, the needle valves and seats also need to be good, for those times when the petcock leaks, is accidentally left on prime, or when the float bowls need to have the correct amount of fuel in them. Which is all the time.

Petcock rebuilds have a bad reputation around here. I bought the new OEM part so I don't have to worry about this safety and reliability critical part. Should be $60-70 from someone like Z1 Enterprises. I haven't had to service needle valves yet, so I can't elaborate on that. Sometimes chunks of tank rust or disintegrating petcock can wedge the needles open. Or so I've heard.

Hopefully some of that applies.

Edit: If it only dumps gas while running, or for a short while after, the petcock might be ok (for now).
                  Last edited by Dogma; 07-20-2010, 11:09 AM.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Dogma, thanks for the Z1 tip, at $50 bucks a replacement petcock isn't too bad. I'll pick that up and double check my work on the carbs. Second times a charm.

Comment

had the same thing happen, dipped the carbs, new o-rings in em then i replaced the petcock. no more leak at all. while your at it if the fuel and vacuum lines are old replace them too for a couple bucks.

Comment

Hi,

Here are some notes I've collected.

Overflowing Carbs

And look over your "mega-welcome" again. You will find links to the proper procedures and proper parts to buy to get your carbs back in shape. As stated in the "mega-welcome", stay away from junky aftermarket "carb kits" and instead order up a full O-ring kit from our friend Rober Barr at http://cycleorings.com . Properly disassemble and dip the carb bodies in Berryman's or simliar (carb dip). Then reassemble the hardware with the new O-rings. Get a new petcock. Chances are that your carbs will be pristine after fixing them correctly. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

P.S. If you can't find your "mega-welcome", just go to my website and click the "READ ME" page.

Comment

Working...
                        X