#1 carb running rich. and oil smells like fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#1 carb running rich. and oil smells like fuel

so i replaced the plugs on my 85 450l today and let it run for and 15 mins and took them back out to see what they looked like and the number one plug was starting to turn very black almost fouled out. I also noticed that the #1 carb will let gas leak out of it wen the bike is off and the fuelcock is in the on or res. position. i dont know if this would be a fuelcock issuse or something with the carbs or maybe both..

Have you cleaned the carbs lately and checked the floats? Everything I have read so far from other smarter folks would point to that as a possibility
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

no i have not cleaned them i dont know the best way to i deal with efi cars all day long i have not once took or taken any type of carb cleaning or rebuild on before. what is the best stuff to use to get them clean? where can i get specs for the carbs how to adjust them?

Comment

There is a carb rebuild tutorial on the Main Page of this site.

Okay...one more time...There are two ways that prevent the overflow of the carbs. One is the petcock, if it fails, fuel will constantly flow into the carbs whether the bike is on or off and regardless of the petcocks position.

Not to worry though...the second failsafe is the needle valves and their seats in the carbs. If these also fail, then, you'll have fuel everywhere, dripping, ponding, creating a fire and biohazard in your garage.....I can't believe the EPA hasn't been in my garage yet....anyway....

The more serious problem is fuel getting into the crankcase and the oil. Fuel + oil + combustion = not good

So, I'm thinking that you need a new petcock, rebuild/dip your carbs as per the tutorial on the Main Page of this site and change your oil and filter before firing up the engine.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by speed_demon_customs View Post
          no i have not cleaned them i dont know the best way to i deal with efi cars all day long i have not once took or taken any type of carb cleaning or rebuild on before. what is the best stuff to use to get them clean? where can i get specs for the carbs how to adjust them?
          Speed,
          Basscliff gave you tons of great advice in your new to the bike world post...go read the stuff on his site and follow religiously.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

I have red a bit in the site but it seems there are more things about the 850s. Are the carbs the same as the 450.? What's the model number for the mikuni carbs on the 450

Comment

You'll find that nearly everything is written to match up with your bike. For instance, his valve job instructions match up perfectly with my 550T and even his brake instructions line up pretty good too. I had someone else help me with my carbs but those instructions are still pretty accurate.

Based on what I just saw using the online fiche of my local bike shop, you have the same type as those just two carbs instead of the four. Same procedures less equipment.

Apex Sports, Colorado Springs, CO, Dealer, Used, ATV, Motorcycle, Scooter, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Yamaha, Suzuki,Triumph,Schwinn Triumph,Champion, D.F.T. Parts, Accessories, Apparel, Service, Financing

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

The needle valve problem can get even worse than just fuel in the crankcase. If the fuel runs into the cylinder, you can build up a little pond on to of the piston and then when you crank it to start, the piston shoves the uncompressable fuel against the head and wham.. damaged rod.

Comment

Working...
                X