main jet discrepancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

main jet discrepancy

Hey Guys, I have a 1982 GS550LZ and in the process of rebuilding the carbs. I know that the main jet is supposed to be 92.5 but when I got the float bowls off I discovered they were 150's. I know different companies size them differently. This bike has K&N pods and factory exhaust that somebody drilled out the holes around the perimeter of the baffle. The mains were changed but they say RD 150 on them. What in the world are they? Any way to convert their size into something like a factory sizing? Thanks

You were not looking at the main jet.

What you were looking at was in the intake throat at about the 8 o'clock position?

That was the pilot air jet.

The main jet is down at the bottom of the carb, just above the drain screw.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

main jet discepancy

I don't mean no disrespect but I definitely know where the main jet is! It is the large jet right next to where the rubber carb passage plug goes that seals off the pilot jet. That's the one that is a 150. I am convinced that someone actually put way too big of a jet in these things.

Comment

Did you pull that jet out of the float bowl?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

main jet discrepancy

Yes, I wrote in my original post that I discovered it after I removed the float bowls. The main and the air jet look nothing alike. The air jets that screw in the back of the carb where the airbox boots clamp are hard to read but I think they are 140's.

Comment

I have some man jets that will work for you.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

main jet discrepancy

What size do you think I should go up to with pods and the stock exhaust modified? The parts fiche says 92.5 is stock! Thanks for your help!

Comment

I'd shim the jet needle and start with 110 mains.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X