X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinders 2 and 3 not getting fuel?

I'll start with a quick rundown:

-81 GS650G with 22k on the clock
    -New plug boots and plugs. Wires trimmed back to get to fresh copper.
    - Coils resistance measures good
    - Seems to have good spark on all cylinders
    - Previous owner pulled and cleaned (dipped) the carbs but did not install new o-rings
    -Roughly 140 PSI compression on the two outboard cylinders and 130ish on the two inboard cylinders
    - New manual petcock. Plugged the vacuum port on #2 carb

The bike will run on two cylinders without choke and idles on the verge of dying at about 1k. Attempting to give in any gas without the choke on will kill it. With the choke on it idles at about 2k and if you gently roll on the throttle you can get it to rev higher. #1 and #4 seem to be firing fine. #4 might be running a tad hot judging from the plug. #3 seems to run intermittently. Judging from the plug it fires and the pipe gets warm but never warm enough that you can't touch it. #2 does not seem to be getting any fuel at all although there's fuel in the bowl.

I'm a little intimidated by any carb work more complex than a lawnmower. I'd like to avoid tearing these completely apart if I can. I'm hoping maybe there's some simple fix that leaps out at you guys?

Edit: I should add that I pulled the carbs this evening and they're clean as can be including the bowls. Also, I have no fuel leaks at all.

or
    If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Kent763,

The carburetors are not exactly simple but they must be properly cleaned with new O-rings installed. It is not that hard to do with the procedure that Mr. chef1366 linked to. There are other maintenance tasks in your "mega-welcome" that are pretty much mandatory if you want to restore your classic GS to its original, robust, reliable, safe, bullet-proof condition. Shortcuts are guaranteed to lead to frustration. Let's get started.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
      X