My bike is suddenly running really rich, seems to flood out at times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bike is suddenly running really rich, seems to flood out at times

About a month ago my bike (78 Suzuki GS 550) started to run much richer and the smell of gas is very noticeable when it is running. Sometimes it doesn't even want to start, sounds like it is flooded when I try to start it. Once I get up to around 55mph it seems to be ok, but it will pop and sputter really bad when decelerating. It also does it a little bit when I first start it and ride it a a lower speed.

I dropped it off at my cousin's garage and am heading back over tonite to see what is up with it. He has rebuilt the carbs for one of his atvs, but hasn't done much actual carb work to adjust them. Will adjusting the needle in the carbs help solve my problem or do I have to rejet them? I popped out the spark plugs last night and two of the four were pretty black. Those are the ones I am gonna comcentrate on.

Anyways, I just want to know if adjusting the needle will help with my problem or should I hold off on doing anything tonite and wait til I can get what I need to rejet it. Also, any idea why it would suddenly start running rich? It ran great before this.

If you have not made any changes (pods, pipe) I don't see why you would need to make jetting changes. When was the last time you cleaned the carbs? It almost sounds like the needle and floats are sticking a bit, or your petcock is on prime all the time. Either could happen on a 32 year old bike.

Comment

The pipe was changed on it, but that was long before I got it. It ran fine when I bought it a few months back. I have not cleaned it since I bought it a few months ago, but will go ahead and do that while it is taken apart.

Comment

Working...
      X