Fuel Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Line

I replaced my old fuel line from the tank to the carbs with a new piece of vinyl tubing (inside diameter of 1/4"). Unfortunately, I could only slide it over the first nipple of the carb settings and not both. I think it will be okay but I was hoping for some verification. Will it slide off and cause me issues or should I be okay?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Hi,

Use it until your order for new OEM hose arrives.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,
      Use it until your order for new OEM hose arrives.
      BassCliff
      ROTFLMAO. Was that a hint?

Comment

I don't think vinyl tubing is rated for gasoline.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          I don't think vinyl tubing is rated for gasoline.
          uh oh, can we get a confirmation on this? I'm also using vinyl tubing...

Comment

Depends on what you have. The standard hardware store vinyl will have it's plasticizers leached out and get stiff and brittle. Tygon has a version that is amber in color and rated as fuel and lubricant. It works well and can be found at McMaster.

I've seen the vinyl hose sold at bike shops as fuel line and it may be formulated for fuel, but I can't verify that.

Comment

Based on what I read it was suitable but I'll run by Oreilly's tomorrow and get better stuff. Thanks.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Vinyl is like plastic...it's generic. There's a such thing as vinyl fuel line, but I don't like it...it tends to get brittle. Neoprene reigns supreme to me.

And, if you can't get metric, get 5/16 and use hose clamps. 1/4" is a little tight...once the vinyl starts getting stiff it'll tend to crack.

Comment

brittle is ok, that just means replacement, I just dont want it to melt on me, or put harmful crap in my engine.

Comment

Then make sure the package states it is petroleum/fuel grade.

Comment

If you get it at a bike shop, make sure it wasn't manufactured around the same year your bike was. I bought some that lasted a couple weeks, then started splitting and screwed up a pair of nikes.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                        ROTFLMAO. Was that a hint?
                        Was I subtle enough?

I like using the right stuff....mostly.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

What do you guys reckon the vinyl tubing that comes with batteries is rated for? I slapped my leftovers from that into my moped.

Comment

Here is a good source for metric fuel line..sold by foot. Kind of funny metric sold by foot!

Comment

But that cloth covered hose is larger in diameter then the stock hose. Often you can get that at VW repair shops.

Comment

Working...
                              X