Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This the intake leak - high idle problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    So how does it run?
    Hi Tom,

Is now running back like it did before this problem (idle running up and poor power at that rpm) started. So that problem taken care of.

I added further description, apparently after you saw it before I completed the posting. Wife came home and somehow thought I should pay some attention to her.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    Looks like you have the problem sorted or on it's way, but I was going to suggest inspecting your boots motor side. If they're old enough, the rubber will rot and break away from the metal backing flange, which can create an intake leak there. You may not even be able to see it without pulling the boot and prying on the rubber a bit to see if it pulls away from the flange. .
    Hi Josh,

Intake boots seemed plyable.
    I just now went out and looked at the ones I took off. No, could not pull rubber away from metal parts.

I, too, Have seen others that were hard and and cracked and metal parts exposed and rusty.

Ew, you are getting a bike from the current decade.

Last edited by Redman; 08-25-2010, 04:03 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

A couple of other things to check:

1) Air filter sealing -- make sure there's a good foam seal between the air filter and the airbox. Sometimes this is a problem if the foam seal folds up when you install the air filter.

2) Airbox halves -- if you have the type of airbox that is made from two plastic halves bolted together, make sure they're sealed.

3) Airbox/carb boots -- you mentioned one had folded up a bit. Check these again. These can cause all sorts of issues, and problems can be very hard to see.

Also, do you know what the idle mixture screws were set at? How many turns out?

You usually need to go a little richer than you get with the "best idle" or Colortune. The final tweaks should always be made by test-riding. You could try turning these out another 1/4 to 1/2 turn to see what happens. I think this might be the main problem, assuming the air filter/airbox check out.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
      X