Carb Gunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Gunk

so my carbs have been givin me trouble again and since i was going to need them out to replace air box boots i figured i would plull them apart again and dip them for the second time...well this is what i found inside my carbs...what is causing this buildup...could it be the gas i am using?

I am getting the smae thing with my carb. IU just took it apart last night and agian the same yellowish ooze . I dont about you but i run staight 87 octane in the bike ( the cheap stuff). the thing is this last tank i ran a thing of sea foam through it as well. Sorry i cant help

Comment

Originally posted by aeroaj View Post
      I am getting the smae thing with my carb. IU just took it apart last night and agian the same yellowish ooze . I dont about you but i run staight 87 octane in the bike ( the cheap stuff). the thing is this last tank i ran a thing of sea foam through it as well. Sorry i cant help
      Well I was runnin 92 in mine....so we are on both sides of the spectrum....and no I didn't run 92 because I think its better...just so happend to be more conveinant at the time

Comment

Didn't I clean those carbs?
        WTH is that residue?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Didn't I clean those carbs?
          WTH is that residue?
          who joo talkin too....no you deffinately didnt clean these carbs...but i did once already 2 months ago

Comment

Originally posted by shibby_cbs View Post
            who joo talkin too....no you deffinately didnt clean these carbs...but i did once already 2 months ago

Perhaps he shoulda cleaned those carbs
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
              Perhaps he shoulda cleaned those carbs
              what...did i spell somethin wrong???

but seriously...does anybody have any clue whats going on here...i would hate to get these carbs all back together only to have them clog up with this crap again

Comment

I had that problem for quite some time, only it would show up right after I dipped them in that Berryman's you have on your bench. Sometimes it was yellow and sometimes it was white. It turns out its oxidation from the dip. I suggest you re-dip the carbs then throughly rinse and dry them (i used an air compressor). After that spray a light coat of WD40 on the bodies. It solved my oxidation problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Toga View Post
                  I had that problem for quite some time, only it would show up right after I dipped them in that Berryman's you have on your bench. Sometimes it was yellow and sometimes it was white. It turns out its oxidation from the dip. I suggest you re-dip the carbs then throughly rinse and dry them (i used an air compressor). After that spray a light coat of WD40 on the bodies. It solved my oxidation problems.
                  that makes lots of sense...that stuff does tend to stick to whatever it comes in contact with...when they finish the dip i will run them through the parts washer...blow em off with the compressor and let em dry....then the wd-40...sound good?

Comment

That's what I did. Took me 4 times to figure it out though lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Toga View Post
                      That's what I did. Took me 4 times to figure it out though lol

I know some people boil them in various solutions including perhaps some vinegar. Apparently clean carbs exude alot more stuff than you would think. Maybe that boiling would help.

Comment

I like to soak em then clean em with soap and water and a tooth brush. Clean and blow out all the little passages with carb spray, compressed air and a little piece of brass wire.
                        All nice and dry then hit em with wd-40 while putting em back together. Liberally lube the new o-rings and all the threaded parts. I even spray the new gasket with a shot or two of good ole dubya-d.
                        Replace the crappy phillips head screws with the screw of your choice, long as it aint another crappy phillips head screw.
                        Doing all this in a nice clean lint free enviroment.

Its actually an enjoyable experience.
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          I know some people boil them in various solutions including perhaps some vinegar. Apparently clean carbs exude alot more stuff than you would think. Maybe that boiling would help.
                          Ooh that's right. Boiling didn't work for me. I would boil for 2 hours but I still had residue.

Comment

Just rinse the Berrymans with water.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              Just rinse the Berrymans with water.
                              Aint that what I just said?
                              Oh, with a little more elegance of course.
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Working...
                              X