Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbs-hypothetical theoretical question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs-hypothetical theoretical question.

Now I am asking this out of no more than curiosity. As yet, anyway.

Would it be possible (within reason) to pull two carbs out of a four-carb rack for use on a two-carb engine, and if so, which ones would you use and why?

I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to use #2 & #3, and just plug the ports that would send fuel to 1&4. My thinking is that #2 usually has the vacuum port and #2 and #3 are usually where the throttle linkages attach.

Thoughts? Theories?

Real quick answer? NO.

At least not without some serious parts swapping.

#1 is closed off on the left side, has throttle linkage on the right, has fuel and vent ports on the right.
    #2 has fuel ports on both sides, vent port on the left, vacuum port on the outlet, throttle linkage on both sides.
    #3 carb has fuel ports on both sides, vent port on the right, throttle linkage on both sides AND the pulley for the throttle cable.
    #4 is closed off on the right side, has throttle linkage on the left, has fuel and vent ports on the left.

The obvious choices would be 1 & 4, but you would need to graft on the pulley from #4 and fabricate a vacuum port.
    You may have a point with using 2 & 3 instead, it might be easier to just block the ports.

NOTICE: the above was written with CV carbs in mind. Some of the port details will be different for the VMs.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X