Too Much Fuel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Much Fuel??

Well I got my 79' GS850 put back together...AND running!!

A few bugs to work out yet...

I noticed some fuel in the impulse line that goes to the petcock..IS that normal?

I also noticed fuel running out of the joint in the exhaust...

It as a MAC 4into1 exhaust on it.

Carbs have been cleaned. But something doesnt seem right.

It runs good...idles smooth. Pops over with just a quick touch of the starter button.

Just seems like its getting too much fuel.

What are your guys thoughts...

Thanks!

Here is a picture...its coming together!!

"Impulse line"??? That's a first. I have never heard it called that.

No, there should be NO gas in there, it's likely that you have a leaky diaphragm in the petcock. Rebuild kits are available, but the success rate with them is about 10%, so you might want to just go ahead and spring for a completely new petcock.

There should be no gas coming out the exhaust pipe, either. Are you sure it's fuel? Until the bike gets up to full operating temperature, there could be a bunch of moisture in there from condensation. It might smell a bit like fuel, due to the presence of combustion vapors. Try collecting some of it and lighting it to see if it burns.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ill check it out tomorrow.

Where is a good place to get a new petcock? Ive done a little searching...but havent had much luck finding one that looks like the one on my bike.

Anything else I could check tomorrow?

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by 427cobra View Post
        Ill check it out tomorrow.

Where is a good place to get a new petcock? Ive done a little searching...but havent had much luck finding one that looks like the one on my bike.

Anything else I could check tomorrow?

Thank you!
        Try Z1 for petcocks. I have one of them on my bike and it works perfectly. No problems.

Comment

Originally posted by 427cobra View Post
          Did you ever get a "welcome" package from BassCliff?
          He has a list of vendors in there, but here is my list:

Alpha Sports
          Babbittsonline
          Bike Bandit
          BoulevardSuzuki.com
          Carolina Cycle
          Cycle Parts Nation
          CYCLE-RE-CYCLE
          Full throttle
          G&S Suzuki
          Motogrid
          MR Cycles
          PartShark (formerly Flatout)
          Partsnmore
          Ron Ayers
          Z1 Enterprises

Shop carefully. Alpha usually has the highest prices, but a very nice search engine that will show superceded parts. Bike Bandit uses their own part number system, it's not compatible with anything else. Not all of these vendors carry everything. Example: Partsnmore. Great place, good prices, but not all parts are available, and they have a $35 minimum, but it's a flat-rate $5 shipping charge. The rest of them merely have different prices.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 427cobra,

It seems you have spent most of your time in the Parts Wanted and Parts for Sale sections of the forum. By the time I answered one of your posts in the Electrical section you already had almost 100 posts and I thought you had already received my soon-to-be-patented "mega-welcome". I apologize for my oversight. Let's do it.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I got the mega welcome...and it has been a HUGE help. I have your site marked as a favorite.

I think my floats are too high and too much fuel is getting in. Is there a clear picture anywhere showing exactly how to set them correctly. I thought I had them set correctly. But just to be sure I measured correctly would be great!

I think it is fuel running out the exhaust. I took it for a short ride..and it bogs pretty good when you give it a quick twist. The air box is not on so that probably has something to do with the bog as well.

But fuel is dripping out of the carbs. So something isnt set quite right.

Thanks for the help so far!

Comment

Hi,

From my little website...

Carb Specs: Float Height/Jetting/Tuning

Also see:

Overflowing Carbs

Here's a picture I took when adjusting my float height.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I took off my carbs and checked the float height at they were all at 24mm. I did notice some debris in the carbs. So I cleaned them again!

It looks like I the got the leak figured out...No leaks now. I also installed a fuel filter!

Its going in tomorrow to get the carbs adjusted....

Just need to get the seat back from being recovered and I will be set!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    it's likely that you have a leaky diaphragm in the petcock. Rebuild kits are available, but the success rate with them is about 10%, so you might want to just go ahead and spring for a completely new petcock.
                    10%? really? I just ordered a petcock rebuild kit. I mean, I feel pretty confident right now...haha. I hope the parts given are good quality. (from Z1 enterprises) I'm not sure if your talking about the materials or the mechanic

Comment

Originally posted by goggleboy View Post
                      10%? really? I just ordered a petcock rebuild kit. I mean, I feel pretty confident right now...haha. I hope the parts given are good quality. (from Z1 enterprises) I'm not sure if your talking about the materials or the mechanic
                      often trash gets into the valve and when you switch to prime or res. the debris scratches the metal.

Comment

Well I think we figured it out. There is supposed to be a plug in the channel that goes up to the port that the impluse line connects to.

Well there was no plug. So it was filling the carb to the top and sucking gas up into the impulse line. (if that makes any sense.)

So I had an extra carb that I replaced it with.

Have to see how it goes now!!

Comment

Working...
                        X